Friday, April 1, 2016

Makeup Mini Reviews!

I'm finally feeling a whole lot better, and what better way to express it than to get back into blogging, right?

I haven't been able to do a whole lot of testing - primarily because I haven't really been wearing much makeup of late - but I thought I'd talk about some products that I've used and emptied out.


Too Faced Shadow Insurance eyeshadow primer
I'm really very meh about this primer. It does a decent job of preventing my shadows from creasing, and it's also marginally effective at making shadows more vibrant. That being said, it does exactly the same thing that my (much cheaper) Wet N Wild eyeshadow primer does. It's nothing special, but I'm not going to repurchase because why would I when I can get something equally effective for much cheaper.

Urban Decay Deslick setting spray
For an oil-control setting spray, this does a pretty bad job of controlling my oily self. It's not very effective, it works just as well as my L'Oreal and Skindanavia setting sprays. It also left me feeling like there was a slight film on my face after using it, which wasn't very pleasant. I'm not going to buy the full size - it's just not worth it.

Maybelline Brow Drama tinted brow gel
I liked the formula of this brow gel [I even did a full review on it]. This was my second tube (I bought two of them at the time, there was a sale, what can I say). Despite the fact that I like the formula, and I like how it works, I'm not sure if I'll repurchase it. One, because I like trying out new stuff, and two, because that mace-like wand isn't something I'm entirely fond of.

Covergirl LashBlast mascara 
I'd heard a lot of good reviews about this mascara and how it adds volume to lashes, and I was ecited because I mean, who doesn't want luscious, volume-filled lashes? Sadly, I wasn't impressed by this at all - when I first opened it the formula was very wet, and caused my lashes to clump. It also had the unfortunate effect of making my lashes look shorter than they were. A week in, the formula dried out a little bit and it did give me volume without too much clumping, but my lashes still looked short. I had to pair this with another mascara (Covergirl Clump Crusher) to get the volume and length for my lashes. It was also a rather smudgy formula. Definitely will not repurchase.

Covergirl Clump Crusher mascara
After hearing everyone (quite literally everyone) talk about the Clump Crusher and how it was the best mascara ever, I thought I needed to try it out for myself. And my verdict is... it's okay. Yes, it's very lengthening, and yes, it doesn't clump, but it left my lashes looking very natural. Which isn't a bad thing if you like natural-looking lashes, but I expected a little more oomph from my lashes when I use mascara, if you know what I mean.The formula is also quite wet at first (similar to the LashBlast) but give it a week to dry out and it becomes better. It works better when paired with the LashBlast than it does alone.
I'm not sure if I'll repurchase this - it does come in handy on days when I want my lashes to look all pretty and natural - but if I ever wanted a mascara that I could use on fuss-free days, I suppose this would be it.

Have you tried any of the products mentioned above? What's your favorite mascara? I'm open to suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. I've never purchased a full sized primer from Too Faced or UD because I've accumulated so many free samples that I'll probably never run out haha. The Brow Drama wand is such a disappointment-I still can't imagine how they thought that would be a good design! I haven't seen that setting spray in the old packaging for ages (probably since '12 or '13). Now that I've switched to L'oreal's setting spray I don't see myself going back to UD either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few samples myself, haha. I'm steadily trying to work through them!

      I like the Brow Drama formula - less crunchy than the Anastasia one - but that wand, holy moly.

      Delete
  2. I tried the Too Faced shadow insurance a while ago. I found the formula too slippy and it did nothing to help with the fading issue that I have with most eyeshadows. I've been using MAC's 24 hr extended eye base, that thing is amaazing! I have a love hate relationship with mascaras. The ones that work best on me are those tubing kinds, they hold curl really well and make my lashes look longer. But my ideal mascara would be one that volumizes quite a bit without looking clumpy. I'm working my way through a Guerlain one now, it looks great on somedays and just okay on others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TF formula is quite 'creamy'! I haven't tried the MAC base but then again I'm really happy with the Wet N Wild one.

      I rather like the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara - gives me good volume and length! But I have a few sample mascara I'm working through, so hopefully I'll find an equal or better substitute for it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried any of the items you mentioned myself, but I am glad you are feeling better and like blogging again.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big fan of MAC Extreme Dimension Lash Mascara, (I have naturally thick long lashes). I have stopped buying costly mascara as they dry out very fast!

    ReplyDelete