Friday, January 8, 2016

Top 5 in 2015 - Makeup Brushes And Tools

Phew! We're finally at the end of the top 5 lists! I've already spoken about my favorite eyeshadows, must-have blushes, best-loved lipsticks and preferred face products - both bases and powders. But you can't use any of those without any application tools now, can you? And so, I bring you my favorite, most reached for, most-liked makeup brushes. These are the ones I use every single time I do my makeup.


Real Techniques Blush brush - This has soft bristles that aren't too dense or too floppy. The tapered end makes it easy to deposit color on the area you want, then you can 'flatten' the brush to blend the color out. I find I slightly prefer this to my Zoeva blush brush.

Real Techniques Setting brush - The love I have for this brush is madness. I have three of them, and I'm actually thinking of getting one more. It's perfect for setting my concealer, excels at depositing highlighter, and I've been using this to apply mattifying finishing powder to my T-zone. If you use a gentle hand, it makes blending out concealer under your eyes quick and easy. Such a useful brush.

Unbranded brush - I got this in a set off Ebay a long time ago. It came as part of an eye brushes set, and I didn't use them at all for my eyes because they were all too big. I tried this one randomly one day to buff out my concealer and hot damn. It made my concealer look great. The bristles are soft, the dome-shaped head makes it easy to get under your eyes, and the finish is so natural-looking. I've used this much more often than my Zoeva concealer brush or my Real Techniques Deluxe Crease brush (the one that comes as part of the Starter Set).

Zoeva 227 Luxe Soft Definer brush - This is supposed to be a dupe for the MAC 217 (which I don't own and so cannot compare). Can I just mention that I love all my Zoeva eyeshadow brushes? This one in particular is fantastic because I can use it to pack color onto my lid, and then blend it out. If I'm wearing eyeshadow, I'm using this brush, 'nuff said.

Beauty Blender sponge - (no, my sponge isn't white at the bottom. It's just the gosh-durned gloomy winter light!) I'll let you onto a little secret here - I love this and my Real Techniques Complexion sponge equally. But - isn't there always a but - I find that this one gives me a slightly better finish. I also find that the narrower end is easier to use under my eyes than the Real Techniques one. If you use a sponge to apply powder under your eyes (to set your concealer - also known as baking) this sponge is the better option to use. Will I repurchase? I'm on the fence (which I guess says something?).

 Do you like the Beauty Blender? What is your favorite brand for brushes?



2 comments:

  1. I love my Makupgeek flat kabuki brush :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Makeup Geek brushes!

      Delete