Thursday, January 7, 2016

Top 5 in 2015: Face Products - Powder

We're almost at the end of the Top 5 lists! I can't go without mentioning some of the face powders I've been reaching for on a regular basis, since some of these I use on a near-daily basis.

I'm including bronzers and highlighters in this category. While I like to switch up my blushes, I tend to be a bit more nitpicky with my bronzer and highlighters - bronzers because it's difficult to find one for my skin tone that doesn't have a red undertone to it, and highlighters because, well, pores.


Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector in Champagne Pop - I didn't know much about Jaclyn Hill when this came out (still don't; please don't get mad!) but this shade caught my eye when it came out and for good reason - it's such a gorgeous highlight. It works perfectly on my skin tone, and the best part is that it doesn't highlight pores. It just gives me a a lovely glow. If you want to read more about my thoughts on this or see it in action, head on over here.

Sephora Microsmooth Baked Foundation Face Powder (I wear the shade 30 Medium) - This looked so similar to the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural I had to try it out. I can't compare the two, since I don't own the MAC version, but I like this powder. It doesn't have a lot of coverage (light at best) so is not heavy feeling on the skin, and the finish it gives isn't matte, but natural and skin-like. It has no oil control unfortunately, but nevertheless, I find myself reaching for this all the time to set my foundation or concealer.

Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder Compact (in the shade 01 Highlight) - The one I have is a mini size that I believe I got as part of a reward point gift or something, I can't remember. What I can say with certainty is that this has changed my life. Okay, maybe nothing quite so dramatic, but for someone with a lot of pores, this is an amazing highlight. Doesn't emphasize pores, looks natural, is easy to use... can't ask for much more, and can't complain about the formula. If you have pores issues like I do, you need to check this out.

Guerlain Meteorites Perles Des Neiges - The holiday offering from Guerlain last year, and my first ever Guerlain product. I was a little hesitant about this when I wrote up my review because while I couldn't find fault with how beautiful it made me look, I was very iffy about the shimmer that was detectable in sunlight... or so I thought. Now though, I find that if I use a fluffy brush and don't overapply I get the same result and no detectable sparkle in sunlight. And believe me, the results are so worth it. I can see this lasting me a long time (years of angelic-looking skin, here I come!)

theBalm Bahama Mama Bronzer - Bronzers for tanned skins can be tough. They're either too light to show up on you, or they do show up but they have the wrong undertone... this one, however, has a neutral undertone so doesn't look strange. It just looks really good on me (and I'm not usually a bronzer kind of gal). I even use this for subtle contouring. It's a good product to try if you have a skin tone similar to mine or lighter - deeper skins might not be able to get this to show up on them, unfortunately.

P.S - I haven't mentioned it up with the rest but I have to give an honorable mention to the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light - it is one of my favorite finishing powders (but was supplanted by the Guerlain Meteorites). Still, I use it quite often, and it didn't seem right to not mention it at all.

What are some of your favorite face powders? Are you a fan of highlighters and finishing powders?


No comments:

Post a Comment