Monday, January 4, 2016

Top 5 in 2015: Blushes

Continuing on with my Top 5 lists, let's talk about blushes! I love me a good blush, there's nothing quite like a blush to make you look all bright and perky.

I'm probably cheating a wee bit since one of my favorite blushes isn't really a blush but... more on that as we go into the post.


Tarte Bling It On Amazonian Clay Blush Palette - every year, Tarte comes out with a blush palette that has five of their Amazonian Clay blushes (usually in limited edition shades). This year was no different, but I love this year's offering so much because all the shades are perfect natural-flush shades on me (well, for the most part. Dollface is too cool toned). I've been reaching for this blush palette a lot - which is surprising, even to me - because most of the shades are so easy to work with. The formula's great, too, which makes it even better. It's unfortunately sold out now, but if you want to read more on my thoughts on it head on over here.

MAC Mineralize Blush in Warm Soul - you know something's a win when you include it as part of your five-minute makeup routine. I'll skip the foundation, but I won't skip this! It gives a natural, glowy finish to my cheeks without being sparkly or making my pores look like craters. It's not something that will work on skin tones deeper than mine - I think anyone over NC45 will have a hard time with this - but if you can try this out, you should! If there's such a thing as a no-blush blush, this would be it.

Clinique Cheek Pop in Ginger Pop - Yes, it was the cute pattern that hooked me to this, but the formula was what reeled me in. It's not the most pigmented blush out there, but it can be built up and buffed out so beautifully everyone will think your flush is natural. Ginger Pop is the perfect everyday shade for those of us with tanned skins, and I find it looks even better in summer when I have a bit of a tan from the sun.

Milani Baked Blush in Rose D'Oro - Everyone thinks of Luminoso when they think of Milani baked blushes, but I'm here to tell you that you need - yes, need - to check out Rose D'Oro. It's a beautiful bronze-y peach that looks stunning on tanned and deep skins. This shade will make you glow. In summer it's difficult for me to veer from this blush because I mean... how does one give up something that makes you look like a glowing goddess? I mean yes, it's shimmery, and can emphasize pores if you're not careful, but goshdarnit, no one is going to separate me from this blush.

Chanel Le Blush Creme De Chanel in Cheeky - I cannot for the life of me understand why Chanel would discontinue their cream blushes. Why, Chanel, why?? They are the best cream blushes I have ever come across - that's saying a lot - and they are one of the few formulas that work well on my oily skin. Cheeky was a limited edition shade, and I nearly missed out on it by overthinking about it (it looks rather plain) but I'm glad I didn't. This rose-y brown shade makes me feel equal parts Jane Austen heroine and Amazonian warrior princess. It gives me a flush, yes, but a bronze-y flush, a very I'm-in-the-jungle-under-the-sun-fighting-off-panthers kind of flush. Does that make sense?

It just struck me that I haven't reviewed a lot of my favorite blushes - a travesty! - but I shall rectify it soon. In the meantime, do you have any favorite blushes? What are they?

6 comments:

  1. I am like the only person that did not like the Tarte blush formula.

    Do you have old Warm Soul or new? I want the new one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tarte formula is a bit powdery which works nicely with my oily skin, haha.

      I'm not sure which Warm Soul I have - I didn't know there was a new one!

      Delete
  2. The MaxFactor Cream Puff blah is my favorite, but I have been getting into cream blushes lately, something I never used until the very end of 2014.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to try the MaxFactor ones, but Covergirl (I believe that's what MaxFactor is branded as in the States?) has just come out with some blushes that look very similar to the Cream Puff ones, so I'll have to try them!

      Cream blushes tend to be finicky on my oily skin, so I have to be particular about the ones I choose :/

      Delete
  3. Love Warm Soul! its one of my favorite blushes from the MAC mineralize line along with Gentle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm Soul is lovely. I haven't tried Gentle - the shimmer in it scared me a little!

      Delete