Monday, January 18, 2016

L'Oreal Color Riche Mono Shadows Review - Pain Au Chocolat & Sunset Seine

It's a rare occasion when I read about a hyped up product, fall for the hype hook, line and sinker, and end up with decidedly meh feelings about it.

That was kind of a spoiler for this post, eh? Let me back up a little.

The L'Oreal Color Riche Mono eye shadows were first released in the U.K. last year, where everyone seemed to rave about them. Folks this side of the pond were gritting their teeth, anxiously waiting for the day these would drop here... okay, maybe not everybody, but I for one was certainly looking forward to giving these a try.

And so when they were released, I was all over them. I demonstrated remarkable restraint and picked up two shades that I knew I would get a lot of wear out of.


The packaging is similar to the L'Oreal eye shadow palettes, plastic with gold trim around the edges and a transparent window in the center to help distinguish between shades. It's quite flimsy and cheap, but for their price I didn't expect much.


The pan inside wobbles slightly, and I'm worried one of these days it's going to pop right off. There was shadow 'overflow' around the edges of the pans too, which for some reason totally bugged me (but was easy enough to clean up with a Q-tip).


The shades I have are:

[202] Sunset Seine - this is a shimmery, warm toned copper-gold. This is another pretty shade but it's fairly common.

[207] Pain Au Chocolat - this is a shimmery, cool toned silvery taupe with a lavender undertone. It's a really pretty shade, and fairly unique I'd say (I can't think of a similar shade off the top of my head).


Both of these make great standalone shade, and they also work well if you want to pair them up with other shades. For some reason, I can't seem to make these work together - i.e. if I wanted to layer on on top of the other, the second shadow won't adhere to the first one, if that makes sense.

The formula on these is nice - they're smooth and creamy - no really, they feel more like a gel-powder finish than powder. What they actually remind me of is the effect I get when I accidentally add too much binder when I'm pressing my loose indie shadows (the binder I use has dimethicone in it). These feel similar to that! I had a bit of a hard time picking up the shadows on a flat brush (again, an issue I've experienced with too much binder) but you can pack them on and build them up with some effort. They also blend out well. I find that when I swatch them with my fingers, I get better pigmentation than when I use them on my eyes with a brush. (When I use my fingers to apply the shadow to my eyes, they don't transfer from my fingers to my eyelids very well).

I've worn both of these and I get really good wear time with them. Over primer, I get eight hours with minimal fading (and this is when I've worn them alone by themselves or with other shadows).

Here's how they look on me:


My gripe with these shadows is that they're good, but they're not something to go nuts over. Frankly, in my opinion, these feel like an average formula but someone's used too many silicones in pressing it, and so the texture is feels a little different from other powder shadows. I did not enjoy the mini struggle I had to get the color onto my brush. Personally, I'd say you can skip these, and try out some Coastal Scent Hot Pots - the shimmery ones feel somewhat similar to these as far as texture goes, they're just as pigmented, and last just as long, but they're much cheaper.

Overall, these are definitely not worth the hype.

BGMM Rating: Sunset Seine - C+
                      Pain Au Chocolat - C+

3 comments:

  1. Omg! What is the pinky red matte lipstick that u r wearing in the 2nd pic.. ? awesome on u..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! What is the pinky red matte lipstick that u r wearing in the 2nd pic.. ? awesome on u..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure, but I believe it was the Colourpop lipstick in Cougar :)

    ReplyDelete