Friday, December 4, 2015

Sephora Luster Matte Long-Wear Lip Color Review: Russet Luster & Deep Plum Luster

Sephora's in-house brand tends to be rather overlooked (with understandable reason - I mean, everyone goes to a Sephora to buy from the makeup brands, right?). But one thing that keeps coming up each time I visit my local Sephora is their lip collection; I've heard a lot of good things about their lip products, and they're considered the hidden gems of the brand. I was browsing across the internet when I came across a mention of their Luster Mattes being a 'dupe' for the Giorgio Armani Ecstasy Lacquer, albeit with a more matte finish. Heck yeah I was intrigued!


The product is housed in a clear, round plastic tube through which you can see the color. It has a flat, flexible doefoot applicator which I really like. I expected to dislike the flexibility (I mean, theoretically it's more difficult to draw lines around your lips with a flexible applicator!) but it's really easy to line your lips and fill them in with this application. I wish more products had applicators like this!



The flipside of the applicator is that it tends to pick up too much product - I found that the amount of product on a single side of the applicator was enough for both my lips (I do have small-ish lips though, so your mileage may vary).

The shades I have are::

Russet Luster - this is a deep, burnt orange shade. (I may or may not have been inspired to buy this shade after seeing Miami Fever by Ofra Cosmetics). It's a little to bright for me personally, but pairs beautifully with a brown lip liner.

Deep Plum Luster - this is a deep, deep plum with a red undertone. It's a gorgeous, in-your-face vampy color that looks absolutely beautiful on my skintone. I can see this looking fabulous on a lot of people.


The formula, unfortunately (for me, anyway) is a little iffy. It's got a slightly liquid-y texture, and I expected the finish to be a lot more matte than it was. The finish isn't a velvet matte (like the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets) nor is it a complete matte like the many matte liquid lipsticks out there. (I found this so misleading, especially given that the name has "matte" in it!!). It's got somewhat of a shine to the finish, but the shine does go away about thirty minutes into wear time. It never settles down to a matte finish, though. It's not transfer-proof and will get onto anything - cups, cutlery, food  (and in my case, my chin during my time eating a sandwich). Annoying.

The good part is that it's a really comfortable formula to wear. It doesn't feel tacky. It's not weightless - when I'm wearing this I know I have something on my lips, but it doesn't bother me, or dry out my lips, or make me want to wipe my lips/lick my lips or anything. I don't feel like I need a lip balm, this doesn't flake off my lips or anything. It sits well on my lips too, there's no smudging when I wear this without a lip liner. It's almost as if this is a satin lipstick formula albeit in liquid form.

I had about 3 hours wear with these, and I had to reapply after eating. Reapplication isn't an issue, you can layer this without worrying about flakiness.

Both the shades that I have leave a stain behind, so even as they're transferring/fading there's no awkward stage where the fading looks prominent.

Here's how they look on me:


On the whole, I'm not entirely thrilled by these. Sure, they're gorgeous colors, and the formula on the whole isn't terrible, but I was hoping for a matte finish and these aren't. I wouldn't recommend these if you're looking for a true matte liquid lipstick. That being said, if you're someone who's terrified of liquid lipsticks because of how drying they are, or you're prone to dry lips, you might want to check these out. Or give them a shot anyway - remember that your personal experience with any product might be nothing like mine!

BGMM Rating: Russet Luster - B-
                      Deep Plum Luster - B-      

4 comments:

  1. I do like the Sephora lip range, but I never tried any of these.Completely matte lips aren't my thing anyway, so I might enjoy them.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might, if you aren't a matte fan!

      Delete
  2. Deep Plum is amazing on you

    ReplyDelete