Thursday, December 31, 2015

Maybelline Colorsensational Vivid Matte Liquid Lipstick Review 1: Nude Thrill & Nude Flush

"Deck your lips with lots of lip balm - fa la la la la, la la la la

'Tis the season of liquid lipstick - fa la la la la, la la la la

Choose we now, from a variety of shades - fa la la, la la la, la, la, la

Through the wear time, chapped lips we bear - fa la la la la, la la, la, la"

Yes I know, it's not Christmas, it's almost the New Year. But that song was stuck in my head, so there! That being said, it looks like 2016 is going to be the year of the liquid lipstick - every brand seems to be coming out with their version. This also means that there are going to be lots of different formulas out there, which is quite exciting - despite my thinnish lips, I rather like the matte formula in general.

One of the newest releases is from Maybelline, as part of their Colorsensational line. I like this line - they have some of my favorite shades ever (the Vivids Range - super flattering on deeper skins!)  - and so I was really interested in them. I played it safe and picked up the two neutral/nude shades in the line.



The packaging is rather nice - a square, clear plastic tube (so helpful to see the color inside!) with a black rubberized cap. It has a standard doefoot applicator, nothing special about it. It's sturdy, and will take and minor bang-ups and jostles well (like the ones you'd expect from keeping a lip product in your purse! - anyone feel me on this?)


The two neutral shades in the line are called Nude Thrill and Nude Flush. They're both similar-ish shades, but have two very different undertones.

Nude Thrill is a warm toned peachy nude with brown tones. I think this is the neutral shade that is geared towards those with warm undertones.
Nude Flush is a neutral-leaning-warm pink-nude. I believe this is meant to work on those with cool undertones.

Unfortunately, I wasn't thrilled with these nude shades - they just barely work on my skin tone. I find that they have to be paired with stronger eye looks in order to look good on my skin. I can't see these shades working on anyone with deeper skin than mine (unless you pair it with a lipliner, that is).

The formula on these isn't like what you'd expect from a matte liquid lipstick (think the Kat Von D line, or even the Stila for that matter). These are thicker - very creamy and mousse-y - and don't really dry down. I'm immediately reminded of the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams or the Bourjois Rouge Velvets. The finish is more of a velvet matte - it's a very silicon-y feeling (like what you'd expect from something that has a cream to powder finish, almost). You can definitely feel it on your lips, and when you rub your lips together they have a slightly "slippery" feeling.

When you apply these, they have a bit of a shine to them. After about twenty minutes or so, the finish settles down to a matte finish - but if I'm being honest I wouldn't call it a matte finish, more of a satin finish really. It's more natural looking than a matte liquid lipstick.


Both the nude shades went on a little patchy on me (although I suspect it might have something to do with the applicator rather than the formula). It was easily solved by using my finger to smooth out the patches, or by rubbing my lips together. Even if I chose to do nothing but talk, the patchiness smoothed out over time by itself.

The formula is forgiving on dry lips - I barely noticed any of my dry patches (short of sticking my face an inch away from the mirror). They are quite comfortable (even though you can 'feel' them on your lips, they're still comfortable). They are not transfer-proof!

They're not super hydrating, and they are mildly drying towards the end of their wear time (I managed to get about three hours with these shades, with mild snacking and drinking water). They fade evenly and (these shades, at least) don't leave a stain behind.

The one thing I can't get behind is the scent. It's kind of a floral/plastic scent that's quite cloying - when I put them on I can kind of taste it in my mouth for a couple of seconds, which isn't pleasant. I know Maybelline lipsticks tend to have a scent to them but none of the other lipsticks I have bugged me as much as this did. It doesn't last long, but if you're sensitive to scents you might want to test this one out first.

Here's how they look on me:


Despite the issue with the scent, I rather like the texture of these. They're not your typical matte liquid lipstick, but they are more comfortable to wear (and a lot more forgiving of dry lips, which is a nice point in winter!). I do like this formula and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the other shades too.

BGMM Rating: B+

6 comments:

  1. I have read that they aren't really matte, which isn't such a drawback for me as I prefer my lipsticks with a satin finish. But why market them as matte then? I am not sure if i am going to try some.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite understand it either. They're a comfortable formula but I wouldn't describe them as matte. Perhaps this is the new direction matte liquid lipsticks are heading towards?

      Delete
  2. I liked the texture too, but the taste was wretched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent/taste is rather strong, I agree! I don't understand why they had to be formulated that way!

      Delete
  3. Thrill looks way better than Flush on you. Loving the green shadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's the brown undertones that Thrill has. I bet Flush would look great on you!

      Delete