Tuesday, December 29, 2015

MAC Cheek Pollen Blush Review (Faerie Whispers Collection)

I know I've been away for a while. Whoops! At first I was recovering from surgery (it's been 3 weeks since I had it) but I guess the real reason would be... games. See, The Hubby and I got a Playstation 4 over Thanksgiving and we've kind of been hooked onto it (if you value your free time, don't get one of these. Seriously). I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition and man I'm hooked onto it. It's so addictive! You get to meet people, and kill demons, and collect herbs; there's crafting, and loot, and a questline. Plus bears! And dragons!

(I'm getting way off track here, aren't I?)

That doesn't mean I've stopped all things makeup. I wanted to get this review out because the Faerie Whispers collection was only just recently released, and I think it's got a lot of great stuff!

The collection has seven eyeshadows (in a new, Foiled formula), four lipsticks, four lip glosses, two blushes and two beauty powders. I found most of them rather meh to be honest, because I already own similar shades to the products that did interest me. Well, most of them. Because when I saw the Cheek Pollen blush, I knew I had to have it.


(Ugh, I just noticed the specks of dust on the packaging. Gaaaaaaaaah. It isn't your moniter, mea culpa!)

There isn't any special packaging to this, despite it being limited edition. I'm kind of torn about that. With the name of the collection being as fanciful as it is, they could have done so much more! What about fairydust a la Tinkerbell? Or shimmery fairy wings? Why won't you pander to me MAC?

So yeah... good ol' faithful, sturdy black plastic packaging it is.



The blush itself is a warm-toned, burnt peach-y apricot with a satin finish. It gives a luminous finish on the cheeks; not shimmery at all, just very healthy. It doesn't emphasize pores (I've worn this over bare skin and over foundation, and to my eye, it doesn't emphasize pores. My pores do look a tad more prominent on bare skin, but that's to be expected because foundation/primer does tone down my pores a little).

The shade is absolutely wonderful as an everyday blush on me, It's kind of how my natural flush is (well, if I pinched my cheeks. I don't seem to blush; the tips of my ears turn beet red instead, it's quite a sight).


The swatches look so unassuming, don't they? You can kind of make out the luminous finish on the swatch (to the left of the picture). There's no shimmer/glitter, as I mentioned.

The texture is so soft and silky! It is a tad on the powdery side, so expect some powder to be kicked up with you dip your brush into the pan. Application is easy (don't forget to tap off your brush before applying) and it blends out very easily. A word of warning - despite how unassuming it looks, this blush is pigmented. The first time I used it, I waaaay overdid it and had to spend the next minute blending it out with a clean brush!

Wear time is standard on me - four and a half hours over foundation. If I pair this with a cream blush I get just under six hours.

Here's how it looks on me:


(left - blush over bare skin; right - blush over foundation)

If you're medium to tan in skin tone, I wholeheartedly recommend this! Paler skin tones can work with this too, but if you're cool toned I can see this looking orange on you. Unfortunately I can't see this working on very rich skin tones (I'd say anyone over NC45 will have a tough time getting this to show up).

If you're tanned and warm-toned and on the lookout for a blush that has the potential to become a workhorse in your collection, give this one a shot! It's limited edition, but to my knowledge is available till Feb 6th 2016.

BGMM Rating: A



2 comments:

  1. I was instantly drawn to this one, but I do have so many similar colors in my collection already I resisted.
    And yes, Dragon Age is the bomb!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragon Age is TOTALLY the bomb :D

      Delete