Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Kiko Long Lasting Eyeshadow Stick Review

Oh man, this review is long overdue. It's quite shameful really, that I haven't yet talked about a product that's become a staple in my collection, something I keep reaching for over and over.

When I got these, Kiko was relatively unknown in the U.S. because it wasn't easily available here. Since then, however, Kiko have launched a few brick-and-mortar stores in the States, and more excitingly, have a U.S website from where you can buy their products from! (This has been very exciting for me... and difficult, because how do I stop myself from wanting ALL THE THINGS?)



For those of you still in the dark, the Kiko Long Lasting Eyeshadow Sticks are supposed to be a dupe for the Laura Mercier shadow sticks. These are much more cost effective (especially when they go on sale) and they're also available in a lot more colors. There are some colors, and several neutral options too.



The packaging is made of matte black plastic. I much prefer this to a glossy finish because this doesn't hold on to fingerprints/smudges. The top is easy to remove, although I did struggle with a couple (Burgundy and Dark Taupe). Despite them having the same packaging, you can't mix up the caps - for some strange reason the caps/tubes have minute differences, so it's not one-size-fits-all.



The shades I have are:

04 Golden Chocolate - this is a warm medium-dark brown with golden shimmer.
05 Rosy Brown - this is a warm-toned taupe-y brown with rose-y undertones. It's got a tiny silver and gold shimmers in it.
06 Golden Brown - this is a warm-toned medium tan brown with golden shimmer.
21 Passion Fruit - this is a warm-toned light coral pink that has a satin finish.
36 Golden Mauve - this is a warm-toned mauve-y pink with golden shimmer.
37 Burgundy - this is a warm-toned cranberry pink shade. It has a satin finish.
38 Golden Taupe - this is a neutral (leaning slightly warm) medium taupe with gold shimmer.
39 Dark Taupe - this is a deep cool-toned brown with tiny silver and gold shimmers in it.

It's worth noting here that when I mention "shimmer" I don't mean glitter. It's very fine, if you blend it out, it's not noticeable.


These are all very pigmented, impressively so. They are all soft and creamy and glide on without any issues either. They take about 45 sec to set, so you'll have enough time to blend them out. Most of them had similar textures, but 21 Passion Fruit was a little more slippery (and a wee bit less pigmented) than the rest. They last all day on me, even without primer (provided I don't rub/touch my eyes) which is very impressive! However, without primer I find that the shimmer in them tends to travel to the area under my eyes at the end of the day; I've not had that issue when I wear them over primer. The migrated shimmer isn't very noticeable (I could see it when I used a mirror close to my face) but it bugged me enough to pair them with a primer (unless I'm only going to be out for a few hours, in which case it doesn't matter to me).

These are very, very useful for days I'm short on time or woke up late. I can add a bit of primer (or not, depending on my day), swipe these on my eyes, blend them out with my fingers or a fluffy brush and I'm done. They also make very good bases - I particularly like using 21 Passion Fruit under my rose gold shadows, and 36 Golden Mauve as a base for my pink shadows (it also works nicely under gold shadows!). If you've wanted to do a burgundy smokey eye, the shadow stick in 37 Burgundy is really, really good used alone or as a base.

I can't recommend these enough. The quality is excellent, the shade range is wonderful, and they're very nifty and fool-proof. They're also interesting enough to wear as single shadow looks. As I mentioned before, they're also good cream eyeshadow bases.

If you get a chance to get your hands on these, go for it! My personal favorite shades are 05 Rosy Brown, 21 Passion Fruit, 36 Golden Mauve and 37 Burgundy. I don't think you'll be disappointed by these!

BGMM Rating: 04 Golden Chocolate - A
                      05 Rosy Brown - A+
                      06 Golden Brown - A
                      21 Passion Fruit - B+/A-
                      36 Golden Mauve - A+
                      37 Burgundy - A
                      38 Golden Taupe - A+
                      39 Dark Taupe - A

4 comments:

  1. I have 06 and it's gorgeous when you layer it, almost foiled. I've always meant to pick up a few more, but as always, I keep forgetting. Damn, now I need to find myself a way to get a few more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised how good they are. Anytime I need a one-and-done look I end up reaching for these. You should definitely get some more! :D

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to give these a try but always forget..hope the bring a sale soon on these and I can pick up a few!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Which shades do you have your eye on?

      Delete