Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Five Not-Really-Makeup Products I've been Loving Lately

The other day I was using something (that I'm going to talk about more) when it struck me how integral it had become to my daily routine. It wasn't makeup, but it still kinda-sorta had something to do with makeup... does that make sense? I guess you could call these the backstage helpers for makeup products. You don't see them directly, but what they do very much influences the final result.

When I use something on a daily (or almost daily) basis, I have to tell everyone about it. The best part is that these are all affordable!


Nivea Lip Butters - these are my favorite lip balms of late. As a matter of fact, I got The Hubby hooked onto these as well! They come in 4 different scents (or rather, one unscented and three different scents). I really like these because they have shea butter in them, which is something that works really well for me. The scented ones smell really good, but have no taste (which is a bit of a letdown). I use it both as an overnight balm and straight out of the shower to seal in moisture.

Sephora Precision Pore Cleansing Pad - I picked this one up entirely by chance. The Hubby has dry skin, and wanted something that would help exfoliate his skin without being too scrubby. I happened to spot this when I was at Sephora, and picked up two - one for him, and one for me of course - and I've been using it ever since. It's helped him with his dry skin (without hurting it) and it's really helped my oily skin as well! It's quite gentle, so I can use it everyday, but it has really made my skin quite soft. It seems to have helped with some of my blackheads as well (they're still around, but I notice they aren't as prominent as they were before) so that's definitely an added bonus.

L'Occitane Hand Cream - My friend Julianna recommended these to me, and since then I have yet to find a hand cream that is as effective. I hand-wash my dishes (and forget the gloves a lot) which leaves my hands feeling dry and prune-y, but this really has left my hands feeling soft and moisturized. It doesn't leave that greasy film either. I've been enjoying this Cherry Blossom scent, it's lovely.

ELF Hydrating Under Eye Primer - I have lines under my eyes (I believe they're called smile lines?) which can cause my concealer to crease. I wanted something to help with it, and when I saw this my curiosity was piqued. This adds some hydration to my undereye area - like an eye cream, I suppose - but doesn't leave behind a tacky/sticky feeling. It doesn't completely eliminate creasing, but my concealer does go on better, and buffs out easier.

ELF Lip Exfoliator - With the whole matte liquid lipstick trend, everyone needs a good exfoliator. I haven't been a fan of the exfoliators that come in a tub, because they tend to be a bit messy and furthermore, I can't seem to get a good scrub out of them (is it just me?). This, on the other hand, is in the form of a bullet, so it's super easy to use! It's also not messy, but very effective. It's got a nice gritty feeling to it that helps to take out the dry flakes. I've gone through two of them already (the one in the picture is my third one) and I'll never be without this.

I can tell there's a difference on days when I haven't used these vs. days I use them.  All of these have my full approval!

What are the small things you can't do without? Have you tried any of the ones above? 

6 comments:

  1. Lip balm and exfoliator are a necessity at this time of the year. Other than that... Do my brushes count as small things? I don't think so.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself exfoliating my lips a lot more often these days, especially since I'm a huge fan of the matte liquid lipstick trend!

      I'd say brushes don't count... they're too essential, haha ;)

      Delete
  2. I need to get my hands on ELF lip exfoliator! they have come out with two new flavors as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's the most convenient lip scrub ever. I'm looking forward to trying the new flavors too!

      Delete
  3. I have the Nivea Vanilla & Macadamia lip tin on my desk at work. :)

    I want that Sephora pad thing to clean my brushes, haha!

    I find that the Cherry Blossom and Almond Milk hand creams are lighter than the original Shea, so if you ever find those lacking, check out the original! It's a bit heavier, but no yucky after feeling!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've thought of using it as a brush cleaner too! Although I'm sure you can get cheaper options off Ebay :)

      Delete