Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Kat Von D Lolita Lip Duo Review

Everyone's heard of Lolita - well, to rephrase that, everyone in the makeup world knows that Kat Von D's Lolita shade is one of the neutral lip shades to own. (I'm not too keen on the name personally, but I do like the color).

I actually own the full-size of the first Lolita liquid lipstick, and it's one of my favorite shades to wear (and also one of my favorite matte/liquid lipstick formulas). But when this set came out, I knew I had to try out the 'new' Lolita, especially since it looked like the pink-toned sister of the first Lolita. Since I knew I liked the first one, I didn't mind too much about having a second, mini-size version of it to carry around in my purse :)


The box is deceptively big because the tubes inside are actually the size of the picture of the tubes on the outer packaging. Yeah. Can you believe it? (I hate it when companies do this kind of thing). The full size has 0.22oz of product, so this has about half the amount of product. Together, you get 0.2oz of product for $19.50, while the full size is $20 for 0.22oz. So you're not really saving anything in terms of price, but you get to try two shades for the price of one.


The tubes are also mini versions of the full size. The design of the top is the same as the full size. The application is also the same doe-foot kind as the full size (albeit smaller). I find that the amount of product the applicator dispenses is enough for both my upper and lower lips, so the smaller size doesn't affect application.

The shades in this set are:

Lolita - a neutral brownish rose with mauve undertones to it. This is exactly the shade of my lips, and is a perfect my-lips-but-better for me.
Lolita II - a warm toned, medium pink with brown undertones. It looks more like a terracotta-coral on me.

I prefer the formula of Lolita II to the original Lolita by a little bit, for some reason Lolita II feels a wee bit smoother. It's also a slightly more opaque than Lolita.

As far as the the shade of full size vs. mini size Lolita goes, I swatched them on my lips and noticed no difference at all.


Both of these are, of course, matte. When you apply it has a wet finish but it quickly dries down to a matte finish in about ten seconds or so. I highly recommend exfoliating your lips before application, because the finish does tend to highlight any dry patches.

The formula is smooth, and a little runny in texture (compared to, say, the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams). It goes on the lips without any issues, it doesn't feel weird or tacky on the lips. It is a little drying, but it doesn't really bother me too much (and I can only detect the dryness four hours into wear time).

Both of these last a good six and a half hours on me with minimal snacking and drinking. It holds up fairly well through meals too, but I find there's a little bit of fading in the inner part of my lips (I assume it's because of the motion of eating/chewing?) but it's not noticeable like the dreaded 'lip liner' effect. If you eat something oily, though, it will wear off faster. When dry, it's also transfer-proof and doesn't get onto teacups... or people, for that matter ;) 

Here's how they look on me:


If I remember correctly, Lolita II will be a permanent full-size shade sometime next year. So if you miss out on this duo, don't worry - you'll be able to get both of these shades in their full sizes. I think both of these are universally flattering shades - they'll suit everyone - but that being said I can see this looking different on different skin tones. If you're brown skinned though, I'm going to recommend this to you - it's a set of very flattering neutrals in a very comfortable matte formula.

BGMM Rating: Lolita - A-
                      Lolita II - A

4 comments:

  1. I still think about the book first. Probably because we don't get Kat von D in Germany.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't understand why she picked this name for it. It doesn't seem to make sense.

      Delete
  2. Lolita looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both! I'm tempted to get the full size of Lolita 2.

      Delete