Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Queen by Queen Latifah Perfume Review

I'm switching things up a little here on the blog today, to talk about something I've been interested in lately: fragrances.
I love 'em. For the longest time I just knew I liked smelling good, but I never knew how fragrances evolve over time. Did you know most fragrances have top notes, middle notes and base notes? Also, the best way to know if a fragrance will suit you is to actually wear it; body chemistry really plays a big role in how a fragrance will turn out to be.

Today, I'm going to talk about one of the first fragrances I picked up when I started to dip my toes into the fragrance world: Queen by Queen Latifah.


I bought this fragrance without having tried it (or "blind", as they say). I'm all for exploring the fragrance world without having to dish out a lot of money, and based on my research this was, for the most part, highly recommended. The price wasn't bad at all, to say the least - I believe I paid about $13 for the 3.4oz bottle I have.

The bottle itself isn't the best looking (at least to me). It is, dare I say, a wee bit tacky? It's made of glass, but doesn't seem to have the weight of glass, and I'm not the biggest fan of the studded design. Still, it looks pretty enough on my vanity. You might like it, who knows? - different strokes for different folks, right?


Top notes: aged Tequila, Bergamot, Mandarin
Middle notes: Rose, Jasmine, Coriander
Base notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Tonka, Incense, Musk

On initial spray, there's the initial blast of plummy florals, and after about 10 seconds you get quite a bit of patchouli, which settles down in a minute or so to a lovely, warm mix of boozy spice, with hints of vanilla and sandalwood.

After about 20 minutes of wear, it changes to a floral blend and you can detect hints of chocolate and a teeny hit of patchouli. It's not harsh at all, thanks to the sweetness of the vanilla.

The base is lovely, a very slight incense mingled with sandalwood, a hint of musk and a sweet floral.

To me, this fragrance is at once elegant and comforting. Since I'm not the best at describing scents, I'm going to tell you how I feel when I wear this fragrance: It's like being at a formal party, except the guests are your best friends. You've all dressed up in your finest with drinks in your hand, but the conversation flows easily, and laughter is plentiful. It's not loud or raucous, mind you, but subdued conversation covered by a welcoming aura. There's a nip in the air outside, but indoors it's warm and inviting.

Longevity isn't the greatest, about 4 hours, and as far as sillage goes it stays fairly close to my skin. You'd have to be fairly close to me to detect it, which makes this a great date-night fragrance, since you'd want to encourage lots of close conversation :)

You can spray this liberally, but not too liberally. Stick to about four sprays at the most.

I bought this fragrance blind, and I don't regret it at all. I've been wearing it while the sun is shining outside, and while this still smells good now that the temperatures aren't blistering (it is somewhat fall here in Texas after all) I think it will truly shine in winter, when temperatures are chilly, the skies are gloomy, and you need a bit of familiar comfort and warmth.

2 comments:

  1. I know I like to smell nice, but I never got that much into fragrance. I have a few perfumes that somehow happened to me along the way and that I really like, but really going out and actively buying a new one? I wouldn't even know where to start!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing a lot of reading and hanging out in frangrance forums. A lot of sniffing happened before I took the plunge and actually bought something, haha.

    ReplyDelete