Friday, October 23, 2015

Guerlain Meteorites Perles Des Neiges Review

Oh hai, look at my first ever Guerlain product! (also my only Guerlain product; ignore the sound of my wallet weeping in the corner).

I've long wondered about the Guerlain Meteorites. About anything Guerlain, really. Why do people rave about it? Why are they so well celebrated? What is all the magic about?

On the other hand - that price tag. G-damn, amiright? I felt like there was no way I could justify the price, you know? But I still lusted after them. So much. For so long...

... and then Guerlain came out with their holiday collection. The Guerlain Winter Fairy Tale collection. I like winter (in theory, of course, I like snow in small doses), and I like fairy tales. And then the packaging. If there's one thing they do amazingly, it's packaging. It reminded me of a winter wonderland. A snow globe filled with magic.



It's weighty and feels really good in your hand, despite the packaging being made of plastic. The inside comes with an extremely soft powder puff - and contrary to what I initially thought, the puff isn't meant for application purposes - it's there to prevent the meteorite pearls inside from breaking. (Did you know that the pearls are handmade? I didn't!). The meteorites are essentially a finishing powder - something you apply on top of your setting powder, to infuse some 'glow' back to your face. (Setting powders tend to leave your skin matte, which can look too flat in real life; these finishing powders help the final result look more natural, healthy and fresh).


This year's pearls come in an assortment of bronze-gold, champagne beige and white. The pearls are bronze gold and champagne beige, while the little stars (meant to resemble snowflakes, keeping in tune with the theme of the collection) are white. They look really, really pretty. Everything about the packaging and the product screams luxury (this actually makes my vanity look very rinky-dinky, haha).


Here's a closer look at each of the pearls. Out of the three, the gold has some microsparkle, while the champagne beige and the white star give off more of a sheen. I find that the easiest way to apply this product is to use a fluffy brush. (I use my Zoeva Petit Stippling brush or my Real Techniques Setting brush for localized application, and the Zoeva Powder brush for all over my face).


The above picture has heavy swatches of each pearl. I wasn't able to get a good swatch of the three of them combined, as my finger couldn't pick up enough product and it swatched sheerly. The resulting finish is a satiny-sheen, but (and here comes bad news) upon looking closer, in certain lights, you can see the microglitter.

Yeah, that's right. Microglitter.

I will tell you that in most lighting, this gives me the most glorious glow ever. Truly. I have oily skin and highlighters can make me look very oily very easily but this makes me glow. Like I've been chillin' out with some angels and oh, would you look at that, their wings lightly brushed across my face and whoops, I'm glowing. I couldn't take my eyes of myself!

But... in direct sunlight, you can see the glitter. There's no mistaking it. I made my husband look for any differences in my face and yes, in direct sunlight, he could see it. Natural light? Nope. Artificial indoor light? Nothing. Only direct sunlight.

If you're following me on Instagram (you totally should: aditi_bgmm) you'll have seen me posting a couple of selfies. I've been using these and really liking the results:


But you know what? I have mixed feeling! I like how these make me look, no doubt. But shelling out so much money for a product that you have to be careful with when you go out in direct sunlight seems... kinda silly. I do like the finish in other lighting though...

So if you do decide you want these, here are a couple of tips I learned during use, and from friends:
  • Don't use the powder puff for application. It'll deposit way too much product.
  • Use a fluffy brush that isn't very dense.
  • Apply first to the areas of your face you want to highlight (cheekbones, center of forehead, etc) and then if you want you can use what's remaining on the rest of your face.
BGMM Rating: A-

6 comments:

  1. I love the glow it gives but i dont think i can shell out that kind of money :( why does makeup have to be so expensive!
    btw loving your foundation, which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the price is so high which is why I'm reeeeeeeeally on the fence about this :/. It will last me forever though, haha.

      I'm wearing the Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless! :)

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha, i know what you mean... I've been in two minds about this much raved about product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it gave me anything less than a magical glow, I'd have returned it. But there's something about how it makes one look that just makes you feel like a special unicorn, y'know?

      Delete
  3. I cover my entire face in this no ragrets

    ReplyDelete