Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Maybelline Clearglow BB Stick Review

(Note - I've tried to search and see if this product is still around but I can't seem to find any information. I'll update this post when I find out more.)

Today I'm talking about a product that's from India. I believe this was the Maybelline's answer to the whole BB trend in India. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if this was an Asia-exclusive product or if it was only available in India?

But onto the product itself - this is supposed to be a BB cream, but in a stick form. It's designed for oily skin. It's supposed to have a "sebum-resistant formula" which I took to mean as having oil-absorbing ingredients.


The product is housed in a cute turquoise packaging. The product twists up from the base. The cover is transparent on the top half, allowing you to see the shade inside. It clicks firmly into place, allowing it to be travel friendly should you want to pop it into your handbag for touch-ups. The shade name and number are noted at the base of the tube.

While I like the compact-ness of the package, I find that the best way to apply the product is to directly apply it on your face. While I don't have any qualms about it, I can see the hygiene (or lack thereof) aspect of it be a letdown for some people.



The shade I have is 04 Fawn, which is a great match for me. It's a touch too light for me at the moment, but that's because I've been out and about this summer more than I normally am, and have tanned more than I get during summers. Otherwise it fits me both summer and winter.

It's easy to apply - I just twist up the stick and essentially draw the product on all over my face, then use a buffing brush or my Beauty Blender sponge to buff the product out.  The product goes on smoothly over my face - I consider it a cream-to-powder - and results in a semi-matte finish. It does seem to somewhat 'set' on its own but I prefer to follow up with a light dusting of powder just in case.

Coverage is minimal at best. It doesn't really hide imperfections completely, but there's some coverage. It gives more of a natural, slightly brightened, slightly-evened out skin - and this is perfect for something I want when I'm rushing out to buy milk or whatever. It also works excellently as a base under my foundations, too.


As you can see from the swatches it's a good match for me. (Note that the blended out swatch isn't completely blended out. If I did you wouldn't be able to see the product at all!)

It's unfortunately not very long lasting on it's own - I get about 3 hours wear before my natural oils break down the product. If I use this as a base under other foundations, it does seem to extend the foundation wear time by a bit, so that's good for me. I also like applying this, and following it up with a concealer+primer mix - it gives me slightly more coverage (but still natural) and extends wear time (I set everything with powder, of course).

Here's how it looks on me - a word of warning, you're about to be subjected to my naked, makeup-less face :)


I'd like to think I have okay skin, so the arrows are mainly to show the difference before and after. It doesn't completely hide all my blemishes, nor my dark circles, but it does a decent job sort of evening everything out.

If you're looking for a product that has minimal coverage, gives a very natural, brightened finish, is suitable for on-the-go touch-ups and is easy to travel with... well, look no further! You might have to settle for a short wear time, but this can be worked around by the use of a primer.

BGMM Rating: B+

4 comments:

  1. I never liked it - but then again, my skin is as dry as the sahara, so that's probably why!
    Also, you're beautiful with or without makeup, woman, so hush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely better for oily skins. And thanks for the compliment, haha - all I see are my horrendous dark circles!

      Delete
  2. Hm, sounds a little too sheer for my liking. But you look pretty without the makeup!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sheer for an everyday wear, so this is good for that! Thank you for the kind words :)

      Delete