Friday, September 4, 2015

MAC Fix+ Review

Well, I know this isn't a new product, nor is it relatively unknown. As a matter of fact, it's quite the opposite! I've heard a lot of people use this for lots of different things, but I never gave it any thought because, in my mind, it was just fancy water. (Look who has the fancy water now, eh?) Anyway, my friend Jules, who is easily one of the most gorgeous people I know, uses this as a final step and her makeup is always flawless.

I want flawless makeup, too. And so when MAC came out with their limited edition collection of scented MAC Fix+, I was tempted. Veeeeeery tempted. When I saw they had a rose (!!!!) scented one, um, yes please.

Now, despite the fact that I have a limited edition scent, the product itself isn't limited edition, so you can always pick one up should you want it.


The packaging is standard, with the only difference being that the tube is colored (pink, because it's a rose scent!). Otherwise, this Fix+ is the same as the regular one.

The Fix+ is supposed to be a fixing spray, but in my experience I haven't found it to be very good as a fixing spray. That isn't to say it is good at all - you'll see later what I mean.



The spray nozzle is small, with a pinpoint opening. This results in a very fine mist, which means that you don't get too much of the product on your face. I've found this nozzle to be the best one in my experience - all the droplets feel like they're the same size (does that make sense?) unlike, say, my NYX Matte Setting Spray, which dispenses droplets too big for my liking.

The product itself is very mildly rose scented, to my disappointment. I find that my regular old rose water is much more scented than this!  As I mentioned before it isn't particularly good as a setting/fixing spray - I don't find it extends foundation wear time, nor do I find that it controls oil, so it's quite a fail for it's 'marketed' purpose. But what it is particularly good at, and what I've been using it for, has been as a finishing spray. I spray this all over my face once I've applied my foundation, powder, blush, etc., etc. - I find that this spray helps to meld all the products together and give a more natural look. I've also used this to 'foil' my eyeshadows (applying eyeshadows wet makes them more pigmented, and makes the shimmery shades appear almost metallic).

Here's what I mean - the picture on the left is without Fix+ while the one on the right is after application:


You can see how, in the picture on the left, my face looks almost too matte as a result of all the powder on the face. (It has photographed rather well but trust me - in real life it looked horrendously cakey!). The picture on the left looks more natural and skinlike, which I much prefer.

Okay, so those were the positives. The flipside? I don't think this product is all that great. I've been using plain rose water before I got my Fix+ (I decanted it into an empty NYX setting spray bottle) and to be very honest I can't see much of a difference between that and this. Sure, I like the spray nozzle in this, but is it really worth the price? Meh. I'm going to keep using this till it's over, then continue with my rose water.

BGMM Rating: B









4 comments:

  1. It really looks natural after applying it, but I have always shied away from spending so much money on a spray. I can imagine going through it very fast.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, you don't really need it, there are cheaper options out there.

      Delete
  2. I HADN'T CHECKED BLOGS IN A WHILE BUT OMGGGG YOU'RE TOO KIND. <3

    This is some jesus water for me, though. I definitely like how fine the mist is. Also you can Back to MAC the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only speak the truth!

      I'm probably going to keep the bottle and reuse it because I like the sprayer/nozzle.

      Delete