Wednesday, September 23, 2015

ColourPop Lippie Stix in Grunge Review (Limited Edition Fall 2015)

I'm not going to do what I usually do and talk a bunch about this product before coming to a conclusion. Nope, not this time.

What I am going to say is this - if you're medium to deep skinned and/or have even a faint nostalgia when it comes to the 90's, you need to go right now and get this shade. Do it, I'll wait.

Look, I'll be perfectly honest. Back in the 90's, I was a kid. Heck, I was a tomboy as a child and a geek as a teen (who am I kidding, still have the geek force in me) and if you'd asked me what was trendy in the world of makeup at the time I'd have gaped at you.

This shade, however - this collection, in fact - kinda makes me wish I was more into makeup in those days. I'm definitely one of the many who are elated at the fact that the 90's are making a comeback!

The ColourPop Lippie Stix in Grunge is one of several that ColourPop released as part of their 'ColourPop Throws It Back' collection and hoo boy, have they ever.



Packaging wise - it's nothing special, it's the same as every other of their Lippie Stix. White packaging on the outside. The bottom and the inner part of the packaging are color-coded with the same shade as the bullet, making identification so much easier.


The shade is lovely. Grunge is a warm-toned muted, dusty plummy brown. It has a matte finish, although I'd consider it more of a satin finish than a true matte. It had fairly good pigmentation - as always, I have better payoff when I have nothing on my lips - if I have some lipbalm on, even if I blot the excess off I have make several passes with the bullet to build up the color, but on bare lips two passes are enough to get full opacity.


I thought this shade looked similar to MAC's Whirl but this is deeper and has more brown than Whirl. It's more like Whirl's slightly rebellious cousin, I suppose. I'd consider this a neutral shade on me, but it's definitely not your regular neutral shade.

It lasts a solid 4 hours on me through snacking and drinking, and doesn't stand up to a meal (you'll have to reapply). It doesn't feel drying on me at all, but it isn't moisturizing either. I'm not sure if it leaves a stain behind or not (when I blot this down several times it turns out to be a shade very similar to my natural lip color, so I'm unable to differentiate between the stain and my lip color).

Here's how it looks on me (I also have ColourPop's Boy Band on my eyes, FYI):


That shade tho. I love it! I don't have a similar shade in my collection, and I just adore how it looks on me. I'm going to be wearing it a lot this fall (heck, or whenever I can). As a matter of fact I have backups sitting in my ColourPop cart - I'm definitely not going to pass up on that! I can't recommend this enough. You need it!

BGMM Rating: A+

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was so oblivious to makeup back then, what a difference now!

      Delete
  2. I love this shade on you. I started discovering makeup only after I turned 25 :(

    As mentioned in my previous comments, I hauled quite few Colorpop items, and gifted one lippie stix (Juice Bar) to my friend. It broke the second day :(! has it ever happened with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also seriously discovered makeup when I was 25, so don't be sad :D

      I've never had any of the Colourpop lippie stix break on me, but I usually am careful about twisting it up just a little at a time. Maybe it was the heat and the formula? I'd contact them to let them know.

      Delete
  3. I picked this up as well! isnt it the most perfect shade for fall? looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lovely, lovely shade! I'm in love! How are you liking yours?

      Delete
  4. It looks beyond amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am all about Whirl but this may be too brown for me...but it looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brown, but man it's the kind of brown I really like. And thanks! :D

      Delete