Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Milani Amore Matte Liquid Lipstick (Limited Edition Summer 2015)

Are you in the market for some liquid lip stains a la Kat Von D's infamous ones? Do you not want to spend a whole bunch? Well, you better head on over to your nearest drugstore quickly (and I do mean quickly) because these Milani Amore Matte liquid lipsticks are a very, very similar formula to the Kat Von D liquid lipsticks. (I'm not joking about the quickly part - these are selling out rapidly, and I haven't seen them on the Milani website!)

The packaging is similar to their Brilliant Shine lipgloss - a clear plastic tube with a gold plastic lid. The top is rather annoying because it's very reflective and is very easily smudged with fingerprints. I had to wipe mine down several times to take a good photo. It's not exactly luxe packaging, but for the price I can't complain.
The applicator is a flat doe foot applicator. I'm a little peeved at this applicator, because I feel that it take out too much product for a single application. I think it's best to take the product out via the applicator, but use a lip brush to apply. The applicator itself will help with precise application (as has been my experience) but the only issue is too much product. This can lead to longer dry-down times, and also the areas that have too much product are the first to fade.
The shades I have are:

Beloved - a warm, dusty rose with brown undertones.
Desire - a bright, warm toned deep rose pink.
Crush - a brown toned brick red.
Romance - a bright strawberry pink-red.
Flirt - a deep plummy berry with pink undertones.

The formula is, I feel, rather close to the Kat Von D formula. It's a thinner, more liquid-y formula, but don't be fooled - it's very pigmented. Most of them go on easily, without any patchiness or streakiness, and they don't feel like you have any product on the lip. (I've been wearing this all week so far, and even now, as I'm typing this, I can't really feel this on my lips). The only one that had an issue was Flirt, which went on very patchily and was difficult to even out the color (something that can be seen in the swatches below).

There's also no transferring - I've had several cups of water, coffee, juice etc, and snacks, and I've even smooched the hubby, but there's no transferring! It will break down if you have something oily, though. I had pasta for dinner and it wore off in the center of my lips (which were more in contact with the pasta) but is still intact on the outside.
It wears well for a solid 6 hours with minimal snacking (and plentiful drinking) and the deeper shades leave behind a stain. If you want to reapply, there's no problem - it doesn't 'pill' or flake off on itself, and reapplication is also smooth. One thing to note is that this is a matte formula  and will emphasize any dry spots you have (as you might be able to see in my pictures below). The other thing is that this is a rather drying formula, so when you take it off, you might want to slather on a good lip balm. Speaking of taking this off - you'll need an oil cleanser because water doesn't do much! Oh, and one last thing - if you have any lip balm before applying this, it won't go on smoothly. Make sure your lips are clean and dry before application!

Here's how they look on me:
To summarize, I think these are a great drugstore liquid lipstick option. If you've been itching to try the Kat Von D liquid lipsticks but are put off by the price tag, try these instead. I really like them and find them very similar, albeit these are a tad more drying. If that doesn't faze you, and you like the shades, I say go for it!

BGMM Rating: Beloved - A+
                      Desire - A
                      Crush - A
                      Romance - A
                      Flirt - B-
                 

10 comments:

  1. I just picked up Crush at Walgreens-I stumbled upon these by accident and it was the only one left! I've only swatched Crush but I think it's a really great shade for the fall, so I'm glad to hear the formula is also great (KvD's liquid lipsticks are my favorite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crush is beautiful! And yes, KVD makes my favorite liquid lipsticks too :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I could get my hands on Beloved! Ugh, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I hope they make these permanent!

      Delete
  3. Beloved is my favorite! I want to try Crush as well..I was very disappointed with Flirt..it was quite patchy and has uneven pigmentation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flirt was a letdown for sure! I think it has to do with the shade - I've noticed all lip products in similar shades tend to be patchy.

      Delete
  4. ALL of these shades look great on you! Beloved, Romance and Desire have a nice brightening effect as well - I like! :D Ok, I have to be a little nosy now, what eyeliner are you wearing on your waterline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D

      I'm not wearing any liner on my waterline, actually - just some shadow smudged on my lashline!

      Delete
  5. I picked up beloved today.....loved it so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect everyday shade, I love it too!

      Delete