Friday, August 7, 2015

Fyrinnae Powder Primer Review

The issue with being an oily-skinned girl living in a furnace Texas are numerous, but in my opinion none are more pressing than the fact that oil production effectively seems to double during the summer months. Seriously, if my face were an oil field we'd have no worries about running out of oil for the next million years, at least.

Since that isn't the case, and I'd like to look like a normal human being, I knew I had to step up the game and introduce primers into my routine. Now, I'm kind of lazy. I like to reduce steps in my makeup routine, not increase them. The concept of applying a product and waiting for it to sink it did not sit well. But the 'oh God this isn't my face it's a oil field' part of me took over, and I remembered that Fyrinnae had a powder primer meant to control oil and the concept appealed to me, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Fryinnae is an indie company that hand-crafts their products. They are vegan and cruelty free, and are well-known in the indie world for their products, especially their eyeshadows. But since we're talking about the powder primer here, let's stick to that.

The packaging is simple, a clear screw top jar with a silver, see-through  lid. The bottom of the jar has a sticker with name of the product, as well as the ingredients. Speaking of ingredients, this has mica, kaolin clay and zinc oxide in it. I have an issue with this because the website notes different ingredients. According to the Fyrinnae website, the powder primer has "Oryza Sativa (Rice) powder, Silica, Mica, Magnesium stearate". I wanted to contact Fyrinnae about it but I can't seem to find their email on their site and I've deleted my order email from them. Once I figure out what's exactly going on I'll update this post. Update: After getting in touch with Fyrinnae, I noticed that I made a mistake in reading the labels! I put the ingredients for the finishing powder in place of the powder primer. The ingredients for the powder primer are rice powder, silica, mica and magnesium stearate, as noted on the website.
The product itself is a white, quite finely milled powder. It's not as finely milled as my Ben Nye Banana powder or the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, but I'd say it's somewhat similar to the Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder.

You're supposed to be able to wear this under foundation, or by itself over moisturizer. I've tried both, and I think the key is to use very little product. If you apply with your fingers, you're going to get a bit of a whitish cast (especially on deeper skins) so using a fluffy brush and little product is important!

It mattifies the skin well over primer - it almost verges on the border of being too mattifying (you know, when your skin starts to feel a little tight). I find that I have to use a little bit more moisturizer than usual to avoid the tightness.

If you want to use it under foundation, I find that dotting the foundation all over your face (after applying the primer) and then using a sponge (the Beauty Blender or Real Techniques one) helps ti spread out the foundation and avoids balling/pilling up of the two. You can use a buffing brush as well, but I personally prefer the finish that the sponge gives me.

The product is supposed to help control oil as well as minimize pores. I'd say it's not really pore minimizing - I certainly didn't notice much difference - however my pores are quite large so I'm not sure if I can use my face as a test :)
As far as oil control is concerned, it's fairly decent. I usually get oily two hours after applying my foundation and this extended it further to about three and a half hours. After three and a half hours I looked glowy, and this continued on for a while. After four and a half hours I felt like I needed to blot my face. Is this the best at oil control? Not really, I suppose. Is it better than anything I currently own? I suppose so. I've also used this over my foundation and like the results, so I guess you can call it versatile!

One thing to note is that some people have broken out from this product, so maybe try a sample before going for the full size.

I do like this primer. I like that it can be used on it's own, and with a foundation. It does take a little bit of babying and I'm okay with that. I like the convenience of a powder product, and for the price, it does a bang up job. I'll most likely be repurchasing this.

BGMM Rating: B+

8 comments:

  1. I just placed my first order with fyrinnae a week back but for their eyeshadows...their eyeshadows have so much complexity to it..hoping they turn out to be as good as everyone says....have you tried their eyeshadows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like their eyeshadows. I think I have 3-4 of them and I know I really enjoyed them when I got them. I'll have to dig them out again!

      Delete
  2. Hello! That would be the ingredients of the Oil Control Finishing powder - is your jar labelled as that or "Powder Primer"? (our email is on the Contact page for future reference. store @ fyrinnae .com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! My jar is labelled as Powder Primer with those ingredients, hence the confusion. Could it be a mis-label?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting product. I too get very oily during summer time, so I tend to embrace powder much more than do strobing.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of strobing - at least with shimmery highlighters! I'm naturally oily and I have large pores so neither of them is conducive to strobing :)

      Delete
  4. Does this leave a grey cast Aditi? I'm finding that both the NARS Reflective Powder and the Laura Mercier powder do that to me. I now use only tinted powders like the Bobbi Brown ones for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't notice a grey cast, Pavithra! It leaves my face looking a touch brighter (if I wear it alone - not so noticeable with foundation on top).

      Delete