Monday, August 31, 2015

ColourPop Lippie Stix in Topanga and Toucan Review (Limited Edition Summer 2015)

First off, apologies for the lack of post on Friday - I was quite under the weather and the weekend found me in bed recuperating.

Second, I know this post is rather late - what with fall around the corner - but as far as I'm concerned it's still summer. Plus I only got these quite recently so technically this review is in good time :) And given that they're still around should you want them, let's get right to the review.

Also, 250th post! That's definitely a milestone, no? :)


I really don't want to go too much in depth into package description - to sum it up they're housed in a slim white plastic tube. The top inner part and the bottom of the tube are color coded with the shade of the bullet. It's a twist up mechanism and the slim shape allows you to be precise during application. 




In case you missed it in the title, the shades I have are Topanga (a satin finish) and Toucan (a matte finish). These were the two that really caught my eye.

Topanga is an interesting shade - it's supposed to be a mid-tone dusty coral and I think that's rather apt. On most people it seems to appear more pink, but on me there's a definite orange vibe to it. This has a satin finish, but I find it to be rather creamy.
Toucan is a pink-red coral with a matte finish, but I would classify this matte finish as more of a satin finish, or at the very least a semi-matte. 


Both of these are quite pigmented. Topanga has a creamier formula than Toucan, and goes on more easily - I find that Toucan tends to drag on my lips a little bit, but I sort of expected that given that it's a matte formula. You can see from the swatches above the difference in the formulas!

Topanga lasts about 4 hours on me through mild snacking and drinking, while Toucan lasts a little longer on me, about four and a half hours. It also leaves behind a stain, which I can live with, so I find I have to touch up after five hours (under the mild snacking and light drinking conditions). Neither of these lasts through a meal, so be prepared to reapply.

Topanga is comfortable to wear on the lips; it doesn't slip and slide about, but it isn't moisturizing. Topanga is also comfortable but I find it tends to slightly dry out my lips during wear (especially around the four-hour mark).

Here's how they look on me:


I love both shades but Toucan is my favorite. I wish I'd picked it up earlier because I would seriously have rocked this all through summer! I find myself reaching for it quite often. Topanga is also another great shade - I'd say this is one of the few (if not the first!) coral shade that I actually like. I find that the dust undertone to it is really flattering.

If you've been looking for some good summer shades, I'd recommend these two! I also suggest giving Topanga a shot if you've been struggling to find a coral that will suit you.

BGMM Rating: Topanga - A-
                      Toucan - B+/A-

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 250! That is amazing!
    And I didn't realize Toucan was a recent one, I picked it up for my mom and she loves it, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toucan is such a fun shade. I'll probably wear it during fall/winter too, when it's sunny outside!

      Delete
  2. Both the shades are gorgeous..so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girl after my own heart. It is technically still summer, and I will refuse tout away my corals until the 23h of September!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete