Friday, July 24, 2015

Sephora Oil Infusion Color & Care Review

Earlier this year, YSL came out with a lip product called Tint-in-Oil. IT was touted as this revolutionary way to wear your lip color - essentially a "lip tint suspended in a deep conditioning oil". I was really curious about this product, but it cost quite the pretty penny. So when I saw the Sephora Oil Infusion on the Sephora website, ping! A lightbulb went of in my head, I knew I needed to try them.

The Sephora Oil Infusion ($14 each) is touted as a "translucent balm-in-oil formula". It also promises a "new sensorial experience", whatever that means.

I don't have the YSL Tint-in-Oil, so I can't make any comparisons between that and this Sephora version. I will be reviewing this product by itself.
The packaging isn't very luxurious. The product is housed in a plastic tube, which reminds me of a test tube. I think it's cute, you know, having worked in a lab and all that - is it just me? Anyway, it's sturdy and doesn't leak, but there's nothing that makes you feel like you have a luxe product in your hands.
The tubes come with doefoot applicators that I feel are smaller than the standard doefoot applicator. This means that they don't pick up enough product during application. I find that I have to dip the wand into the tube 3-4 times to cover my lips completely. It's not a very efficient applicator and I wish they had maybe done a sort of 'well' in the applicator which would hold more product. The product inside is scented - it smells like vanilla, yum. It's not a very strong scent, and it pretty much disappears a few seconds after application.
I have two shades with me - Iced Coffee (09)  and Bubbly Grenadine (06).

Iced Coffee is a mauve-brown shade.
Bubbly Grenadine is a bright fuchsia pink.

The product itself is very light. It doesn't feel like a balm, nor a gloss. It's got a little bit of a slip to it, but it's not sticky. It's a whole lot lighter in texture than my favorite gloss (the NYX butter gloss). I feel that the texture is more reminiscent of an oil than a gloss. The formula is pretty hydrating - I applied this on dry lips, and I could immediately feel them getting a little moisturized. So it's rather good at providing hydration . Despite the formula being on the thinner side, it doesn't slide off my lips.

As far as the tint part is concerned, the pigmentation isn't very intense. Even though it looks really pigmented in the tube, it's very sheer on the lips and even in the swatches. When you apply these on the lips you can see your natural lip color coming through. It provides for a very translucent wash of color.
Wear time was very, very short. This was what disappointed me quite a bit. I get barely an hour's wear out of this. There is no stain left behind, even with the brighter shades (maybe some of theo ther shades might leave a stain, but I saw no such thing with the two shades I have). The glossy finish wears off very quickly, but on the upside my lips feel hydrated for a good hour and a half after application. 

Here's how the shades look on me::
This is a good product for those who are afraid of wearing very bright colors, people who have chronically dry lips and want a lip product that will give them a hint of color and hydration, and those in school and/or conservative workplaces. It's also a good option for a daily wear product (provided you're okay with reapplying). I like that it feels nice on my lips (although definitely not a "sensorial experience" as advertised!) and that it's moisturizing. 

The big question is - despite the negative points of this product, will I repurchase it? Yes, surprisingly. I think it's great for those days when I have lips too dry/chapped for lipstick but I want something more than lipbalm. But then again, that's what lipgloss is for, I suppose.

BGMM Rating: B




14 comments:

  1. looks really sheer...no pigment at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very sheer. I wasn't expecting them to be very pigmented, but considering how bright they are in the tube I expected more!

      Delete
  2. Loving your new layout!

    I was interested in these, but your review told me I can pass on these. I still want to try the YSL though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a work-in-progress, but slowly getting there :)

      I definitely think the YSL ones will be better. I've heard they are a thicker formula than these, and they also leave a stain behind.

      Delete
  3. It seems like a lip shine. I like thicker texture. I will check out the YSL one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be happy with the YSL ones! :)

      Delete
  4. I dont like lip products with much slip to it..so i guess I wont like these at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are pretty "runny" in texture! So it makes sense to skip them. What is your favorite lip product? :)

      Delete
  5. Damn, I got excited when I read this! Sigh, I wish they performed better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good for slap-and-go application (I applied this in the middle of a movie theatre with no issues!) but pigmentation is lacking, and they're not as moisturizing as lip balm.

      Delete
  6. Hm, I am not one for very sheer lip products. my lips are pretty pigmented on their own and I always feel I am wasting my money if I wear a product that doesn't show up.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these are good for "fuss free" days - but like you, on the whole I want my lip products to be pigmented!

      Delete
  7. Hey Aditi! These are pretty, if I had to, I would pick up the most pigmented or the darkest one of the lot. I have good luck applying that principle to lip balms in general :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pavithra! I was excited looking at the color of these in the tube and just hoped for the best. I'm sure the dark one will work much better (and even leave a stain behind) but I think I'll stick with these two for the time being :)

      Delete