Monday, June 8, 2015

ELF High Definition Undereye Setting Powder Review

I never thought that the under eye area needed its own kind of setting powder, but then again I didn't really think I needed concealer for a long time, so clearly I'm no expert.

Now that I'm wiser (and older, but let's not talk about that, okay?) I know that using different setting powders can be advantageous. Some setting powders are designed for oil control. Others have some amount of color correction, and others are designed to minimized flashback.

So, really, lots to choose from.

 In my case, my under eye area is drier than the rest of my face, which, if you've been following my blog for any amount of time, you know is very oily. So I like using a powder more suited for oil control on my face, and a more.. "gentle" one under my eyes.

I first heard about the ELF High Definition Undereye Setting Powder because I'd read about it being a possible dupe for the MUFE HD Microfinish powder. The MUFE powder is a silica powder that's designed to set foundation in such a way that it blurs imperfections, softens fine lines and pores, and generally evens out the appearance.

Given the huge price difference between the two, I figured this was worth a shot. Why not, right?


The E.L.F. HD powder is housed in a small, square, plastic box. The jar itself is clear, and the screw-on cap is black plastic. It's pretty sturdy - I've knocked this thing off my vanity several times and it's still intact. (Disclaimer - I have carpeted floors. I have no idea how this will fare on tile or wood!)


The jar houses a sifter that's meant to prevent the powder from getting everywhere, and also to dispense the amount you need each time. Unfortunately, it fails at both. I end up getting too much powder, and it also ends up flying out of the jar each time I open it. Still, when it comes to loose powders, a sifter is better than no sifter!


Coming to the powder itself - it's not white, but slightly pinkish. It's meant to be finely milled but I find that's really not the case at all - to me it feels almost a little rough in texture? It goes on okay, but blending/spreading it out is difficult. You really have to use the smallest amount or else it'll leave a white cast on your skin. However, it does do a good job at setting concealer, and I found that it didn't gather into the fine lines under my eyes.



Unfortunately, I won't be using this again unless I run out of all my other powders and don't have any means of getting a replacement for any of them.

Why, you ask?

This has GLITTER in it. Straight up specks of glitter. I'm sure it was added with the intent to "brighten" up the under eye area, but I don't understand the need for it. If they wanted to add something, they should have made it more finely milled.

The thing is, in natural light, or indirect sunlight (the kind that comes in through the window), it's not noticeable. Under any kind of bulb lighting, it shows up.

So yes, it sets concealer, and yes, it doesn't get into my fine lines, and yes, it's cheap, but... glitter. Also, the powder feels quite chalky to me, and not very silica-like.

And really, for the amount of product you're getting (the jar is tiny, you guys!) $3 might be too much, especially when there are other great powders out there at the drugstore.

I know there are a lot of people out there who really like this powder, but personally, I don't think this is for me. I'll be using my pot to finish it up, then repurposing the packaging to store a different powder.

BGMM Rating: D

7 comments:

  1. I had this and didnt really like it..it enhanced dryness under my eyes and i have extremely dry skin around my eyes..i love my ben nye banana powder and it can get a bit cakey if you use a lot but you dont really need much and it brighten's up the under eye area beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did not like this at all! And I also can't go without my Ben Nye banana powder, haha.

      Delete
  2. I've heard about this before and that it is super sparkly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, which is unfortunate. I think the idea is good, but the product isn't.

      Delete
  3. i have used this too and didnt liked it at all...i mean it does not make any difference looks very shiny too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Totally not worth it.

      Delete
  4. This reminds me a little of the Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder, which is also meant exclusively for the under eye area. I alternate between that one and a regular Bobbi Brown Sheer Powder. In addition to being glittery, I can see how this can end up looking very grey if over applied - the LM powder also has that issue.

    ReplyDelete