Friday, June 5, 2015

ColourPop In Bloom Set - Lip Product Review

On Wednesday, I reviewed the Super Shock Cheek blushes (and highlighter, if we're nitpicky) from the In Bloom set and I had nothing but good things to say about them.

Today I'll be talking about the Lippie Stix that come with the set.

Just to recap, the In Bloom set was designed in collaboration with Jamie Greenburg, a makeup artist. The set features three cheek products (Super Shock Cheek) and three lip products (Lippie Stix).




The packaging of these limited edition Lippie Stix is the same as the permanent ones - white packaging, with the bottom color coded to the shade of the bullet. There's also a sticker at the bottom with the name of the shade on it. I really like this, because it's easy to pick out the shade you want based on both the color and the name.


The set comes with three of their Lippie Stix in Sweet Thing, Frenemie and Freshman. They all have a cream finish. As previously mentioned, these shades are exclusive to the set and are not available for individual purchase.



Sweet Thing is a light, neutral pink with a hint of a white base. It rather reminds me of a cross between Barbie pink and ballet pink, if that makes any sense. On me, it veers close to pastel territory. This surprised me the most out of the three, because based on the shade of the tube, I expected a mauve-y pink shade. It's not unwearable on me, but deeper skintones might have a hard time pulling this shade off. It'll look lovely on lighter skins though. The trick to wearing this shade is to pair it with a cool toned blush, and avoiding distinctly warm tones on the eyes (think coppers, warm golds and bronzes, etc). It also helps to pair this with a lipliner a shade darker (or close to your MLBB shade); alternatively you could add a deeper shade of gloss on top. 

Frenemie is a gorgeous orange-y coral. It's orange, but not too orange, and you can still see some pink in it. It's a lovely shade, perfect for summer and will suit a wide range of skintones. The cream formula adds to the lusciousness of the finish! This has become one of my favorite coral shades.

Freshman is a rich, pink magenta-rose shade. This is my favorite shade of the three (well, it ties with Frenemie) and has a wonderful finish. This is another shade that will work on most -if not all - skin tones, and the shade really helps in brightening up the face.


They all apply smoothly on the lips, and there's no tugging. The cream finish also helps to hide any  rough texture on the lips - chapped lips might still show up, but slightly dry lips will have no issues with the formula. It doesn't dry the lips out, but it doesn't feel particularly hydrating either.

When freshly applied they have a glossy finish that disappears about 30 minutes into wear. Then it settles down to a satin finish that is also very flattering. Sweet Thing had the poorest wear time of the three, lasting 3 hours on me, while Frenemie and Freshman lasted a solid 5 hours (with minimal snacking and drinking). They also faded evenly to leave a stain behind. Re-application is also easy.

Sweet Thing had a slight tendency to settle into my lip lines, but this was not the case with Frenemie and Freshman.

Here's how they look on me:


The ColourPop cream formula is a very comfortable formula to wear, and it lasts a good amount of time. They're also very pigmented (even Sweet Thing managed to cover my natural lip color!) and they apply smoothly. The shades are also very pretty.

The only "dud" in the set for me is Sweet Thing, and that's only because the shade doesn't suit me; the formula and pigmentation are still there. 

To reiterate what I've said in Wednesday's post - for the price ($39) this set comes with a lovely variety of lip shades in comfortable and pigmented formula; plus you get some really amazing cheek products. I'd definitely say this set is worth it, if you're in the market for shades like this.

BGMM Rating: A (Frenemie and Freshman)
                      B+ (Sweet Thing)

8 comments:

  1. Freshman looks so lovely, but then again all three do on you.
    I´d pass on Sweet Thing, to Barbie-esk for my liking.

    LindaLibraLoca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Yes I agree, I wish Sweet Thing was a bit of a deeper pink!

      Delete
  2. I agree sweet thing looks a bit deep in the packaging still looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it would have been so much better if it matched the shade in the packaging, haha.

      Delete
  3. I like Frenemie and Freshman - they look great on you! I think these plus the cheek colors totally make the set worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Freshman has been one of my favorites of late :)

      Delete
  4. Freshman looks great on you! Sweet Thing I feel is too light and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wish it was deeper :(

      Delete