Friday, May 1, 2015

NYX The Skinny Mascara Review

You know, mascara was something that I never considered using because I always thought I had fairly decent lashes. Even now, most days I'm mascara-free - I like using it when I'm going out for some added oomph.

The only issue I had was my lower lashes. I could never figure out how to get them to be more... prominent (is that the word?). I tried using a regular mascara want but I could never make it work without getting mascara smudged everywhere.

That's when I heard of NYX The Skinny Mascara. It has a very small, narrow wand that's supposed to make it perfect for getting right down to the roots of your lashes, as well as every individual lash. It's not advertised per se for the lower lashes, but when I saw it I went "whoa, that's going to be perfect for my lower lashes! " And so I ventured forth and procured it for myself.


As far as I can tell, this mascara only comes in black. I have no idea whether or not a brown version will come out in the future, but if you're someone who's used to wearing brown mascara, this might not be your cup of tea (unless you want to go for it anyway, which is also totally cool).

Oh, and did I mention that this is supposed to be a dupe for the It Cosmetics Tightline mascara?


The tube is thin and, uh, skinny, and is made of black plastic. It looks pretty sleek, but it's easy to mistake it for a liquid eyeliner tube (I did that several times, haha). It's also easy to travel with, as it doesn't leak.

The wand, as you can see, lives up to it's name. It's small, and (sigh) skinny, and the bristles are also super small and thin. This really does help in getting right down to the bottom of your lashes, and it really does help in getting ALL your lashes - even the ones at the very corners - so yes, this is a great brush!


So the brush is great, but the formula... that's a different matter. It's a very wet formula, and unfortunately it causes clumping. On my upper lashes it just wasn't good, and caused them to turn into spider lashes. A single coat gave me some minor clumping, but two coats gave me major spider lashes - I'm positive I had like 10 ginormously fat lashes - and it was not a cute look.

However, on my lower lashes, it did a great job!  It was a great formula for my lower lashes, if I'm being honest - it coated all my lower lashes, and it also seemed to lengthen them a bit, and it made them more noticeable. That made me happy.

Another downside to using this product on my upper lashes is that it leaves my lashes feeling crunchy. Like, stiff and rigid. I'm not sure if it's because it's a water resistant formula? (I've never used waterproof mascara, so I'm not sure if this something similar to those). My lower lashes were fine, though; they were still soft. So this is definitely not going to go on my upper lashes again.

Taking it off isn't too easy; I first used my Simple Micellar Water, and that caused it to accumulate under my eyes (oh, did I mention that it's a water resistant formula, so if you cry, or your eyes water, this will get all around your eyes? First hand experience #truestory). I then followed it up with my Sephora Cleansing Oil and made sure everything was off by following up with my usual facewash. Despite that, when I woke up the next morning I still had very faint traces of it under my eyes.

Here are some before-and-after images of my lashes (left is before, right is after).

With a single coat of mascara
And here's how it looked on me:


As you can see, there's some minor clumping on my upper lashes, but my lower lashes look great!

To summarize: the wand is great and is good for getting to the roots of your lashes, and the lashes in the corners. The formula is better suited for the lower lashes than the upper lashes (it's too wet for me). If you wear it, don't cry, and hope your eyes don't water!

BGMM Rating: (as a mascara, overall) B-
                 (as a mascara for only the lower lashes) B+/A-

1 comment:

  1. WOW your lower lashes look great!!! *runs to Ulta*

    ReplyDelete