Friday, May 29, 2015

NYC Expert Last Lip Color Review

Sometimes it's pretty easy to get caught up in the world of Sephora, and all the mid-end and high-end brands it offers. Heck, it's easy to fall into the rabbit hole that is makeup, and more often than not there's always an urge to "climb up the ladder" so to speak.

Which can be a pity, because drugstores have some good makeup. Cheap and cheerful can actually be that, without compromising on quality.

You can kind of see where I'm heading with this review, can't you?


The NYC Expert Last Lip Color lipsticks are rather unknown. I've come across a few reviews here and there talking about them, but it wasn't till my friend Elizabeth asked if I could review some of the NYC products that I actually got my hands on them. I know these are available at drugstores but I got mine at Walmart.

They have very simple packaging - it's made of plastic, and the color of the tube matches the color of the bullet inside, which is great if you have multiple colors. I will note that some of the tubes seem to resemble each other, and there are just minute differences in shade.

Something that irks me is that the bullet doesn't completely retract back into the tube. This means I'm always worried that I'll nick and damage the bullet! Why companies do this I don't understand.


There is a label with the name of the shade at the bottom of the tube, which I highly appreciate. Nothing irks me more than when companies neglect to print the name of the shade on the product packaging!

The shades I have are:
- Berry Me
- Velvety Fuchsia
- Pure Coral
- Red Suede

I tried to pick one shade from each color category to see if there were any differences in formula between them.


Berry Me is a mauve shade.

Velvety Fuchsia is an intense bright blue-toned fuchsia.

Pure Coral is a bright orange-y coral.

Red Suede is a yellow-toned, somewhat orange-y red.


All four shades have a glossy finish when first applied, but after half hour or so it settles down to a satin finish. They all feel comfortable on the lips, and they glide onto the lips. There's no tugging, and these do not emphasize dry patches on the lips - on the contrary they seem to hide any rough areas on the lips. In the lip swatches below, I have rather chapped lips but you'd never be able to tell.

They're not the most opaque formula; they do need several swipes to be built up to full opacity. The formula of Berry Me and Pure Coral seemed similar in that they were more slippery, and a tad less pigmented, than Velvety Fuchsia and Red Suede.

All of them left stains behind after they wore off, with the exception of Berry Me. Strangely, Pure Coral left a rather pinkish stain despite being an orange coral. The pink stain left behind by Velvety Fuchsia was also a deeper shade than the actual color of the lipstick.

These are not transfer-proof, and they will need to be reapplied. They do wear off evenly. They last 3 hours on me with mild snacking and drinking, but I needed to reapply after a meal.

Here is how they look on me:


For a drugstore brand, these are impressive. They have a really nice, creamy, comfortable formula, and are quite pigmented. They come in a nice variety of shades too, and Pure Coral is going to be one of my go-to shades for summer!

I'm not too happy about the fact that the bullet doesn't retract completely into the tube, though, and I'll acknowledge that these do need to be built up with several swipes.

BGMM Rating: B-

10 comments:

  1. That Velvety Fushia looks amazing on you! I've been dying to try these out so I might have to go get them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you'll like them, they're worth a shot (and won't break the bank!)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, these look like really great summer shades. It's a shame I have such a hard time finding NYC makeup where I live, these would satisfy my "I need (want) lipstick" phase I'm going through without breaking the bank haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's too bad. I think you can find them at CVS, Rite aid, and I know Walmart carries them! And one can never have too many lipsticks (or so I keep telling myself, LOL!)

      Delete
  3. Berry Me is such a stunning shade! totally my kind of shade..i guess ill get it next time I visit my local cvs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It a lovely everyday shade for sure!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I bet it'll look fabulous on you! :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Aditi! ALL of these look so pretty! You know, that first paragraph really resonated with me. I did start off with drugstore brands, but once I took a bite of the forbidden Sephora apple, I couldn't stop! I find though, that I've never been really happy with too many drugstore products. I find it wasteful when I see a bunch of Revlon lipsticks lying around in my stash, unused, simply because the shades were not right. Your swatches here are so helpful and may push me towards trying these hidden treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand shades not being right, haha. I do feel like the quality of drugstore makeup has gone up, which is always a good thing (only if the price remains the same, of course!)

      Delete