Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation Review

One of the struggles of having an oilfield for a face is that foundations never tend to stay on for a respectable time. Or if they do, my face still ends up looking like someone poured grease all over it (yes I know, not a pretty picture. #sorrynotsorry) Worse still, the ones meant for oil control feel like a literal mask on your face - heavy, and makes you feel like your skin can't breathe! Being someone who likes weightless formulations, they weren't an option.

I'm glad to note that companies are coming out with better-formulated foundations - having both a lightweight feeling, as well as being able to (reasonably) control oil.

I don't usually wear foundation on a daily basis, so I try not to spend too much on it. Which is why I was quite excited when the Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless foundation came out. I had high hopes!


I wear the shade 322 Warm Honey. It's a good match for my skin (to compare, I wear NC 42 in MAC's Studio Fix powder, and C5 in their Face & Body). The foundation itself comes in a glass bottle with a lid There is no pump, which is sorely needed. The texture of the foundation is liquid-y, but not runny at all. It applies very smoothly and easily. I tried applying with my fingers, with a brush and with my beauty blender. It applies best with a brush (I use the Real Techniques Expert Face brush) and the beauty blender. It was so-so with my fingers.


I've been testing this foundation for sometime, without primer. I wore it for as long as I could - 8 hours in my case - before taking it off. During that time, I had to blot my face twice - the first time, three hours after initial application, and again after another four hours. The coverage is good, it covered most of my blemishes, but it did seem to fade lightly through the day. I noticed the most fading around the mouth and chin area, but that was also partly due to eating and having to wipe off my mouth (I stuck to meals that I would usually have; if you're eating something like soup, or a sandwich, this might not be as much of an issue for you). It did hold up pretty well in other areas.

The finish isn't completely matte; it's more of a satin-matte, or semi-matte. The coverage is very natural, and there's a kind of luminosity that comes through without appearing oily. That's the finish that you get throughout - it doesn't look unnatural or caked on, it looks very natural, very skin-like. It also builds up nicely where you need coverage.

As far as blush, bronzer and highlighter go, my blush was noticeable towards the end - albeit significantly faded. My highlighter had disappeared at about 4 hours into the day. So if you're really oily like me, it's worth using a cream blush and a powder blush on top, or else be prepared to reapply blush. Bronzer fared better, being reasonable noticeable at the end.

I could have managed wearing the foundation for more than the 8 hours I tested it for, all it needed was some blotting. It was easy enough to "fix"; all I needed to continue my full face was a quick blot and maybe some powder, quick blush reapplication, and if I wanted to be really finicky, I'd apply a very light touch of the foundation around my mouth and chin.

That being said, if this foundation was used in conjunction with a more mattifying primer, I'm positive I could have gone longer without blotting, and seen less of product fading during the day.

Here's a before and after using the Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless foundation (before on the right, after on the left):


As you can see, it does a good job evening everything out while looking quite natural.

I am pretty impressed with this foundation. It doesn't feel cloying on my face, it doesn't feel like I have a mask on. It's pretty light weight. It didn't settle into my mores, nor did it emphasize my pores, or any flakiness. More importantly, this foundation didn't seem to transfer as much as other foundations I have.

Here's a complete look using this foundation, just to give you an idea of how it looks:


I will definitely be using this foundation on a regular basis. I think, for a foundation that lasts 8 hours, and where I have to blot only twice (and without a primer!) it's a great option. Plus, it's quite affordable as well. I just wish it came with a pump, because I'm tired of having a crap ton of it come out every time I try to dispense it onto the back of my hand!

Will I repurchase? Yes. It's become on of my favorite foundations and I think if you have oily skin, it's worth giving this foundation a try.

BGMM Rating: A-

8 comments:

  1. Holy shit, that colour match is pretty spot on. I've been hearing nothing but good things about this... and you're opinion (always highly regarded) makes me want to try it on my own very dehydrated skin. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're too kind! I think it'll work on dehydrated skin too, as long as you prep with a good moisturizer. I'm pretty impressed by this - I don't really feel the need to invest in high end foundations because this one is just so nice!

      Delete
  2. That foundation really looks lovely on you. I haven't gotten round to try it yet, because there are no testers here in the drugstore and I am unsure which color to pick.

    LindaLibraLoca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem! I usually take a foundation that matches me to the drugstore and then compare bottles and shades, haha.

      Delete
  3. Ha! I'm an NC 42 in studio fix powder too! That probably means I'll be the same shade as you in the Maybelline foundations? I honestly steer clear of drugstore foundations because I've burnt my fingers way too many times with the wrong shades. Your finished look is so polished, what gloss and blush are you wearing?
    Also, you wear a C5 in Face & Body. I was matched to C6 and while it worked fine during winter, it looks so off on me now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing Sleek blush in Coral on my cheeks, and Revlon lip butter in Berry Smoothie on my lips!

      As far as the foundation goes, I would give this a go - to be honest I've been burnt too many times when it comes to foundation and this is one of the few that I actually like the feeling of on my face! (I also have Revlon Colorstay but I use it when I'm looking for a really long lasting, full coverage foundation. I don't particularly like it on my face, but it does a great job).

      I was matched to a C6 too, but I had a feeling it was too dark on me. I took a shot and ordered C5 online, and it fit me well. I know I'm still kinda-sorta my winter shade (I go up to NC45 in summer, especially Indian summers!) but I think I can still use it in summer too, albeit with a bronzer.

      Delete
  4. I so needed this review! I was going to pick up this foundation in cvs just yesterday but was skeptical about the shade but this one looks absolutely bang on match and considering I am also NC40-42 in MAC I guess it should work..glad to hear it its not completely matte..I had revlon colorstay but I really felt like wearing a mask! its too heavy for me..hoping this one would work better...have you tried the new loreal one as well? heard this and loreal both are very similar ..although not surprised since both belong to the same parent co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revlon Colorstay is so long lasting (and I find that the finish gets better the longer I wear it, haha) but it's definitely too much for non-special occasions - this one definitely fits the bill!

      I haven't tried the L'Oreal one, I found it really hard to pick a match (the tubes aren't clear so I can't see through them!)

      The next one I have my eye on is the Maybelline Dream Wonder foundation, a lot of people told me it's got a great texture and finish, even for oily skins.

      Delete