Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Sheer lipsticks - a succulent option for spring!

Now that the weather is starting to warm up, my dreams for warmer temperatures are coming true! Although I'm now terrified the thermometer will start climbing at a crazy rate and we'll soon be hit hard by the notorious Texas summer. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the sip-on-mimosas weather here and I've adjusted some of my makeup stash accordingly.

I usually like my lipsticks rich and pigmented, but of late I've been digging the sheerer formulas. The past week or so I've been reaching for good ol' lipgloss over my (myriad) lipsticks. Still, lipgloss is nice and all, but I really like the juiciness and gel-like look that some lipsticks can provide.

Here are some options ranging from drugstore to high end!



Revlon Lip Butter
Okay, first off, I'm not sure if these are discontinued or not? I hope not, because these are some really nice lip products! They're smooth, sheer (but buildable) and decently moisturizing. They come in a variety of shades, so there's something for everyone! Cons? They can drag on the dry patches on your lips, so it's a good option if you have smooth-ish lips to begin with.


L'oreal Color Riche Caresse Stick
This is a surprising one for me. They're not exactly sheer, but aren't pigmented either. They have the perfect balance between 'nothing on your lips' and 'whoa, nice lipstick!'. If you have pigmented lips, like a sheerer formula but also want it to show up on your lips, these are a good option. Cons? They're not exactly super hydrating.


Maybelline Color Whisper
These are a gel formula, so will literally glide on your lips. A single swipe is sheer, but trust me, these can not just give you complete opacity if you choose to build up the color, but they also stain! They don't settle into cracks in the lips, and give some amount of moisture. Cons? Can be a tad too slippery, so you might need to use a clear lip liner (your mileage may vary; I don't have that issue).


Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Color Stick
Okay, I'm going to come out and say it - I LOVE these! They are seriously amazing. They're nice and sheer, but more than that, they're ridiculously hydrating. You could start off with chapped lips, and slap these on, and end up with softer lips. I highly recommend Fresh Papaya and Sweet Watermelon! Cons? I'm not too fond of the fact that they have shimmer in them. If they lost the shimmer, these would be Holy Grail status for me.


Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm
The origin of the chubby stick trend. These were hailed as a sheer, moisturizing formula, and they're still good for that! Personally, I feel that they're a tad on the sheer side for my pigmented lips, but they can be built up somewhat. Cons? Not very pigmented (try the intense version!) and not forgiving on chapped lips.


Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Stick
First off - what is up with that name? I admit it amuses me. Second - these are exactly what they claim to be - a gloss in stick form. Except they aren't sticky, or super shiny/glossy. They're really nice for a easy, slap-it-on-and-go-out-the-door look, Cons? I'm not convinced about the price - they're pricey for a supposed drugstore brand.

Edit: Soap and Glory (in the States) is moving out of Sephora and into drugstores, so the prices might reflect that in the future!)


Urban Decay Sheer Revolution
These are the newest launch by Urban Decay, and have garnered rave reviews already (here's mine). I'm not sure about how I like them, but I can't deny the lovely gel-like finish they give me. Some of the lighter shades may not show up on pigmented lips, but the deeper shades are beautiful.


YSL Rouge Volupte Shine
I don't have enough words to express my love for these. These are just fantastic!They give a gorgeously succulent and juicy look. And surprisingly, for a sheer formula they last a good amount of time. Cons? The price (ouch!). Also, the scent of these might not be everyone's cup of tea.


The biggest overall negative for me is that sheer lip products don't last long, and that's reflected in all of the above. While they have some wonderful formulas, most of them just don't last long, averaging between 1-2 hours of wear (less, if you eat. They won't last through a meal). On the other hand, their sheer nature allows them to be reapplied without the need for a mirror, and they actually do feel quite nice on the lips. While some of them are moisturizing and others aren't, none of them will actively dry your lips.

Sheer formulas are also fantastic for people who want to get into the world of lipsticks, but are afraid of the bold pigmentation of some of them (reds, oranges, plums, etc).

So what do you think of sheer lipsticks? Are you a fan, or do you want your pigmentation to pack a punch? Comment below and let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment