Friday, April 10, 2015

Lip Balm Legends

Lip balm is such an essential for me it gets so easily overlooked - until, of course, I have chapped lips that, at best, make my lipstick look bad, at worst, start bleeding.

I've tried a lot - and I don't just say this lightly -a lot of lip balms, and while most were just meh and unworthy of repeat purchase, a few of them are truly standouts.



My current favorites - and by favorites I mean I will always have at least one of these with me at all times - are Evolution Of Smooth Lip Balm, Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream, The Body Shop Honeymania Lip Butter, TokyoMilk Dark Femme Fatale Lip Elixers, Lush Whip Stick and Craftman Soap Company Comfrey & St. John's Wort Lip Balm.

Most of these are relatively inexpensive (with the exception of the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream) and last a long time!



EOS Lip Balm ($3.49)
The cheapest of the lot, most people have a love-hate relationship with this. I personally like it, and I find that the shea butter formula works well to keep my lips soft. It's not intensively hydrating, but it's perfect for the daytime and under lipstick. I find this easiest to travel with, and inevitably find one in my each bag I use!

Craftman Soap Company Comfrey & St. John's Wort Lip Balm ($5.00)
This is only available online, unfortunately. This shea butter and beeswax formula feels light on the lips without being greasy, but doesn't work well with lipstick. It's also a very hard formula in a tin, so you'll have to find a means to scrape it out each time you want to apply, which can get cumbersome. However, it's worth it - it really helps to soften and heal lips, and stays on for a good amount of time.

The Body Shop Honeymania Lip Butter ($6.00)
This has several oils, beeswax and honey, which work well together to soften the lips. I find this formula the best of all the Lip Butter formulas, and I love the mild, sweet scent and taste. It's not the most hydrating, but works well as a daytime lip balm.

TokyoMilk Dark Femme Fatale Lip Elixers ($7.00)
This is made from petrolatum, which normally doesn't work for me, but surprisingly something about this formula is different. The balm applies thinly on the lips, but feels heavy - it's hard to explain - and if you apply too much it can get tacky. I use this at night, where it works magic - I wake up in the morning with soft lips.

Lush Whip Stick ($7.25)
A shea-butter based lip balm that smells AND tastes of chocolate? YES PLEASE. Of course, it's also helped by the fact this is, hands down, one of the best balms I've used. It works from the second you apply it to soften the rough, dried parts of your lips, making it easier to exfoliate them off. It's not too heavy, and it's not so light that it slips around; this is my Goldilocks lip balm for the day.

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream ($21.00)
Wait a minute, what is this pricey thing doing here? Yes, this is expensive, but for the amount you get and (if you use it exclusively as a lip balm) the number of uses you'll get out of it, it will easily last you anywhere between 9 months to a year. This is a combination of lanolin and petrolatum that work together to smoothen and soften lips, and to also plump them up! My favorite lip balm for night time use.

One of the things I've discovered is that there are certain ingredients that my lips favor - shea butter and lanolin. It takes a truly awful formula containing either of them to not work on my lips! So now, when I go lip balm shopping (because a girl clearly needs 554,971,824,413,637 of them) I always look at the ingredients list and pick those that have either one.

Petrolatum and beeswax, despite supposedly being very moisturizing ingredients, don't work on me, so I tend to avoid those in my lip balms.

What are some of your favorite lip balms? Are there certain ingredients you favor? Comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment