Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Let's Get Crafty! - DIY Lip Scrub

Let's veer off course again into the land of do-it-yourself! The first time I ventured into the land of DIY, it was to turn products that didn't work for me to something that did - and so the Revlon Sultry Gel Blush was born.

This time round, I'm DIY-ing to test out a theory. I've read a lot of stuff about lip scrubs - some people love it, some people don't have any feelings towards it. Most people agree that 1. store-made versions are expensive, and 2. a home-made one is just as effective.

Hmmm.

I looked up various "recipes" online and all of them had a basic sugar and oil mixture. A few had variations using coffee grinds, essential oils, honey, and even food dyes! After a few trial runs, I found something that I rather like.

I'm a huge coffee lover, so the idea of using coffee grinds really appealed to me. This has two advantages; it smells amazing, and because it's a larger sized particle, it gives you a milder scrub.

I also wanted to incorporate brown sugar (you can use regular sugar instead) to give it a taste and also because it's a smaller size particle, it gives a more 'scrubbier' scrub.

Honey is a great moisturizer and of course tastes wonderful as well. It also has anti-microbial properties (honey will not sustain growth of microorganisms because of it's low water content)

Jojoba oil is another wonderful moisturizer, and in addition it has some fungicidal properties (there's actually a patent for jojoba wax esters).

Let's get started -

Step one - Gather all the necessary items.


What you will need:

- A clean jar
- Isopropyl alcohol (or ethyl alcohol)
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon coffee grinds (I use medium grind, but you can also use finely ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon jojoba oil (you can use coconut or olive oil instead)
- toothpicks (not pictured)


Step two - Clean and sanitize everything with the isopropyl alcohol

I washed the jar with hot water and soap, and let it air dry. I then added some isopropyl alcohol to the jar and the lid, swirled it around for about 30 seconds, then drained the rest off. Let the jar air dry. (Tip: use an alcohol solution of 70% strength or greater. Since I use 91% I repeat the process a second time just to be safe).

Step three - Add the coffee grounds to the jar.


I added enough to fill half the jar, and left the rest of the space for the other ingredients.

Step four - Add the brown sugar to the jar.


Step five - Mix using a toothpick.


Don't forget to sterilize the toothpick using the isopropyl alcohol before use!

Step six - Add honey to the mixture.


After adding honey, mix everything with a clean toothpick. You should get something that has a wet, dough-like appearance without being too runny.

Step eight - Add oil to the mixture.


Again, after adding the oil, mix everything together once more with a clean toothpick.

The resulting mixture will be a suspension of the coffee and sugar in the oil and honey mixture. Take care not to add too much oil; it's best to add a little at a time and mix as opposed to adding everything at one.


The resulting lip scrub will smell wonderful, and safe even if ingested (to make an edible scrub just ignore the coffee grinds, and add much less oil).


I'll be testing out this homemade scrub against the store-bought ones I have and making a comparison post in the near future.

What are your thoughts about lip scrubs? Have you ever made one yourself? 

2 comments:

  1. How cool! I did not know about honey being anti-microbial, TIL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also one of the reasons it's considered safe for the face as well - the only caveat being if you're going to use it in a mask, don't add any water to the mask!

      Delete