Friday, March 27, 2015

Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipstick Review

Confession time - sometimes I go into product testing fully expecting to feel "meh" about a product. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I end up disliking it, and other times... I'm blown away.

Spoiler alert: this is one of those times.

The Urban Decay Sheer Revolution lipsticks are a new formula that was introduced for Spring 2015. I'm a huge fan of their original Revolution lipsticks (which just reminded me that I haven't reviewed those! Gah!!) but I wasn't impressed by these. Sheer lipstick? Bah, humbug, Revlon did it first with their lip butters, amiright?

Still, I read reviews voraciously, and I was kind of... well, pretty much... sucked into trying these out for myself.


The Sheer Revolution lipsticks have the same sturdy, gorgeous metallic packaging as the original, with the only difference being in the color. The original Revolution lipsticks are housed in a gunmetal packaging while these are more.. purple-tinted metal (seriously, how do you describe that color?).

I really like the packaging, despite the fact that it will get smudgy with fingerprints each time you use it, only because it feels quite weight-y in your hands, and there's something classy about whipping it out to apply. Or is that just me?


I picked up two shades, Sheer Rapture and Sheer Slowburn. As you can see, the sticker at the bottom corresponds to the color of the lipstick, which is useful if you store your lipsticks upside-down and want to easily identify the color.


Sheer Rapture is a sheer mauve-y, dusty rose shade that is a perfect everyday shade for me. It's a gorgeous color, but isn't as pigmented as Sheer Slowburn. A single swipe is pretty sheer, but multiple passes can easily build up the color.

Sheer Slowburn is a sheer orange-red. I wasn't sure about this color when I chose it, and went back-and-forth over it. I'm glad I picked it up, though; it's so, so pretty, and works great on my skintone. It's also more pigmented than Sheer Rapture. Two swipes is enough to give you almost-full opacity (I say "almost full" because the formula itself results in a glossy finish which I don't usually equate with opaqueness, if that makes sense).


Let's talk about the formula - it is quite reminiscent of the Revlon lip butters, but... it's better. Don't get me wrong, I love my lip butters, but this one is less melt-y and more solid than the lip butters. I prefer how these apply on my lips - there's a minimal amount of tugging, and I think that has to do with the formula; I get the same feeling from the lip butters too. However they just feel so comfy on the lips; more so than the lip butters. With the lip butters, there was always a niggling fear at the back of my mind about them slipping and sliding off my lips; with these I don't have that fear.

They're also unscented and unflavored, so if those things bother you, you're in luck!

Sheer Rapture lasts two hours on me while Sheer Slowburn lasted four hours on me - through mild snacking and coffee-drinking. They will not last through a meal of any kind.

There's one thing though - these don't seem to work well over lip balm for whatever reason - I don't know if it's the lip balm that I use (the Nivea lip butters and the EOS lip balm) but I have to make sure I blot off my lip balm before applying these.

Both of them are somewhat moisturizing, and they don't dry my lips out. They won't cure flaky lips, but if your lips are rough-feeling, they will still apply smoothly and make your lips look plush.


To summarize - these are more pigmented than most sheer lipsticks (that I own, anyway) but they feel and look really nice.  I didn't expect to like these as much as I do! For a sheer lipstick, they pack a good amount of pigment, and depending on the shade, last a decent amount of time too. The formula isn't too slippery and slidey, they don't settle into lip lines but they don't mesh well with dry flaky lips.

I've been all about the sheer lipsticks of late, and these are... the best I own, in a nutshell. I know I'm going to go back for more - Sheer Anarchy and Sheer Ladyflower are on my list.

If you're brown and are looking for a good everyday lipstick, I'd recommend Sheer Rapture, it's lovely!

BGMM Rating: A

4 comments:

  1. Sheer rapture is perfect for everyday wear..but i am loving sheer slowburn a lot!
    I am more of a matte lipstick person but doesnt hurt to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my mattes, which is why I was hesitant to try these! But the formula is great IMO :)

      Delete
  2. I was considering picking up Sheer rapture too, love how lovely it looks on you. I'll make sure to pick it up once I purge a few items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed, it's a lovely color! :)

      Delete