Monday, March 23, 2015

Mini Mondays - Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

Welcome to another episode of Mini Mondays! Today we have a product that's quite a cult classic - the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream.

This was a deluxe sample I received with an order I placed on the Elizabeth Arden website over the holidays, so, uhh, three months ago (wow, has it been that long already? Where is the time going?). Full size is $21 for 1.7oz.

This is supposed to be a favorite of makeup artists everywhere, and it's supposed to "soothe sunburned skin, rehydrate chapped lips and heal rough elbows and calluses." It's also good for "keeping legs, lips and eyelids shiny; eyebrows in place and cuticles perfectly manicured."

Basically, it's supposed to function as a skin saver, shine factor, eye opener, cuticle conditioner, treat for feet, after-sun soother, flight tool and leg wear. (No, really. You can read all about it here)


Suffice to say, standards were higher than a dude who's been smoking pot all day (am I allowed to make those kind of jokes? Oh well. I'm going to let it stay. This time, anyway).

First off I need to mention I have the fragrance free version. The balm is amber in color, and is very thick - something that can be expected because they first three ingredients are petrolatum, lanolin and mineral oil (in that order). There's no added fragrance to the fragrance-free version (of course) but it still have a very distinct smell. It smells like... herbs and incense, almost. It definitely took me one or two uses to get used to it, but now I enjoy it. It's not unpleasant to me, but I can see some people not being fans of the smell.


It does spread very easily on the lips, but takes a little bit more work on other body parts - I've used these on cuticles and elbows, and it required a little bit of rubbing to get it to spread. It doesn't absorb into the skin, and so there's a greasy layer left behind (I suspect this to be thanks to the mineral oil and petrolatum).

I use it overnight as I cannot stand the feel of it during the day - it's very thick and goopy. That being said... I can't deny it's effective. As a lip treatment, at least. Cuticles and elbows, not so much. I think it's because I tend to move around a lot when I sleep, so most of the product rubs off on the sheets and there's not much that's left behind to work.


But as a lip treatment, it is stellar. I've been using it for the past three months and I'm about halfway through the tube I have. It's definitely thick on the lips, but it's still there when I wake up. No matter how dry my lips are before I go to bed, when I use this cream, I wake up with the softest lips ever. No more flaky bits. And my lips lines seem to be less pronounced, and my lips appear a tad bit plumper! The plumping effect isn't prolonged, unfortunately, and wears off hen I wash my face, but I can see and feel the difference when I use this.

I don't use it much during the day, as it does take a while to work. I prefer using this as an overnight treatment, and using my other, less heavy lip balms during the day. I haven't tried it as anything else other than a lip balm, but it really is a fantastic lip balm. A sample size will last forever (if you, too, intend to use it only on the lips).

Summary: I think this is a great product, and have actually purchased the full-size version of this because I like it so much. Definitely worth checking this out.


2 comments:

  1. I hated this, we had to use it during classes, and I hated how it felt on my lips. It was so disgusting, like my skin couldn't breathe. However, for the same reasons, it does make a super sexy glossy eye lid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely thick - I can't ever use it during the day but try it at night! It really works amazingly well :)

      Also - I've never understood glossy lids! They seem so impractical, no?

      Delete