Monday, March 2, 2015

Mini Mondays - Boscia Luminizing Black Mask

Hello and welcome to the first post in the new series, Mini Mondays! This is where I review mini and trial-size versions of products, because, well, why not? I'll try to keep this as a regular feature - at least until I run out of sample sizes, hur hur hur.

Today we have the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask ($10 during the Sephora Black Friday sale, $34 for the full size version). I'm always so enthusiastic about face masks, I love using them. And while I haven't found my holy grail of masks yet, I have a few that are very close to me and serve as my benchmark.

Now, more about this mask. It's a peel-off mask, with calcium montmorillion clay (supposed to have 67 minerals), vitamin C, and witch hazel. Vitamin C is great for reducing hyperpigmentation (when used over a period of time, mind you) and witch hazel is good at controlling acne.


So it's safe to say I had good expectations from this mask... you could even say I had great expectations! (Pardon the pun). Sadly, it wasn't to work out.

The mask had a somewhat runny texture - I'd liken it to syrup. It's best to apply a little at a time, covering small areas. It's a black mask - literally - it's tinted black, and appears black on your face, and is still black even after it dries down. I found that kind of cool (but then again I'm weird like that) and it gave The Hubby a startle, even though he's used to seeing me with various-colored goop on my face.

It's worth noting that this mask is quite difficult to wash off; it took me a lot of scraping to get the remnants off my hands., and using soap didn't seem to make much difference. It also made my eyes sting a little, and my nose water, which should have been red flags, but I decided to push through because I really wanted to try it out.

Pondering what I've gotten myself into. AAHHH IT BURNS.
It dries down in about 20 minutes to a shiny, mask-like finish. It's then a matter of gently peeling it away from your skin. Be careful where you apply it, because I had a little bit on my eyebrows, and lose a few hairs when I was peeling off! It was also kind of painful to peel off, which was unusual for me.

This has got to be simultaneously the most disgusting and most satisfying picture I've taken for this blog. BEHOLD THE MASK!
My face was red and slightly irritated after using it, which was a bummer, and I tried to add some hydration back using a thick moisturizer before going to sleep.

But - and the reason I loathe this mask - I woke up in the morning with REALLY oily skin, and, to top it off, I had two new pimples on my chin. These weren't the purging king either (if purging pimples are even a thing) but more cystic in nature (you know, the kind that's under your skin and is really, really painful to touch, and appears all red? Yeah, I have two of those bad boys fighting for space on my chin right now).

So much so for 67-minerals infused clay.

Summary: I thought this would be a great mask, but it's a pain to work with, painful to take off, and leaves pimples in it's path. I will definitely not be going anywhere near this, ever.

2 comments:

  1. oh dear I am staying away from this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an unpleasant surprise! It also was the first mask to give my some serious pimples!

      Delete