Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Kat Von D Innerstellar Palette Review

The Innerstellar palette was (is?) part of the Spring 2015 collection from the Kat Von D makeup line. (On a related note - if this was released last December, how is it part of the Spring collection?)

I'm a fan of the Kat Von D palettes, and I've already reviewed the Monarch and Chrysalis palettes here on the blog. I was a little on the fence about this palette, seeing how cool toned it looked, but the taupes got to me! And, I was sucked in, of course.

This is by far the most cool toned palette I've ever come across. Seriously. If you're cool toned, you pretty much need this in your arsenal. If you're warm toned, keep reading!


I love the design of this palette - it definitely looks very galaxy and nebula-like! I also really like the name; it's a play on the whole inner beauty thing (inner stellar; makeup that makes your inner beauty very stellar and star like, get it?)

The palette consists of twelve shadows, all cool toned, but they're not all neutral. It has a mix of some neutral shades and some really unique shades.


The names of the shadows are also all related to the astronomy. The packaging is made from thick cardboard, and feels very sturdy. I've accidentally dropped this (on carpeted floors) once or twice and as you can see, it's fine. (Please don't drop it on tile or anything hard).

I also love the fact that it comes with a good sized mirror! It really comes in handy when you travel, or even if you want to use it to create looks.


Gravitron is a pink-white shade with a lilac iridescence. It's a really pretty shade, very soft, but tends to sheer out easily unless you really pack it on.

Night Crawler is a satin, cool-toned taupe with a grey-mauve undertone to it.

Dios is a satin cool-toned gray shades with a kind of deep blue undertone to it? It's not your standard gray for sure.

Lunacy is a shimmery, cool-toned purple. This is one of the best purple shades I own, since purples can be quite finicky.


Vast is a satin, cool toned taupe brown with a brown sheen. It's a really great lid shade, and perfect for one-shadow looks.

Astrological is a delicate lavender shade with golden iridescence. It's got a texture similar to Gravitron, and also has a tendency to sheer out.

Darkstar is a cool toned deep gray-brown-purple taupe with multidimensional microshimmer. It's an amazing shade for smokey eyes!

Orion is a neutral, medium brown with a satin finish.


Lycan is a warm toned, matte, cream color. This is the one of the two shades in the palette that are warm toned.

3 am is a shimmery, warm toned, rose-y brown shade.

Moonshine is a shimmery, cool-toned bright silver. It's a very metallic silver shade.

Killing Moon is a matte black shade. It's not the most intense black shadow I've come across (see my post on Battle of the Black Shadows post!) but it's a decent black. It had a bit of issue blending out, but nothing super noticeable.





As mentioned, this is definitely a cool toned palette overall, even though it has a couple of warm toned shades. I'm pretty warm toned, and definitely had a bit of a struggle trying to get the shades to work on my skin, but once you practice you can really create some great looks with it.

The quality of the shadows is wonderful; they're all soft, smooth and creamy. Some of them are so soft they border on powdery. There is some fallout, even though it's minimal. The shades are also pretty; my personal favorites are Lunacy, Vast, Astrological and 3am.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention about how long these last on me. I get a good 8 hours of wear, over primer of course. There's minimal fading; I feel as though the lighter shades fade more than the deeper shades.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that if you layer these over cream shadows, you can alter their undertones. So that's definitely another option to look at, if you're warm toned and interested in this palette.

Here's the thing - do I think this palette is a must-have? That's a hard question. I'd recommend this to people who are cool toned, for sure. But if you're warm toned, this can be a tricky palette to work with. The quality is there, but unless you're willing to work with it to create looks that don't look ashy, it might not make sense to get it.

So there you have it. It's a great palette, with some good shades, buuuut... while I don't regret mine, you might want to think about how much use you're going to be able to get out of this palette before you invest in it.

BGMM Rating: B+

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love this, and I love the look you created :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I was so on the fence about this palette, but the more I used it the more I liked it!

      Delete