Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Budget blushes worth the hype

Ahhh, blush. One of the few products that did - and does - legitimately terrify me each time I use it. I'm constantly walking the tightrope between "down with consumption" and "mad clown" territory. Okay, I jest... with my skintone I doubt I'd ever be mistaken for someone with consumption. But the whole clown cheeks fear is real.

The thing about being brown skinned, though, is that sometimes blushes just aren't pigmented enough (which totally puts a torpedo into my clown cheeks theory, but let's not get distracted here). The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of drugstore blushes tend to be lower in pigmentation, and more often than not, appear chalky on deeper skintones. Which is a total bummer, because believe you me, there's nothing like a gorgeous flush on the cheeks  to visually demonstrate to the world just how healthy, happy and amazeballs you are.

But - isn't there always a but? - there are a couple of blushes that are actually worthy of your investment. These blushes were with me when I first started my makeup journey, and these are the few that have survived along the way, and I still use - and enjoy using, might I add - on a regular basis.

Now there's no reason to not flaunt your cheekbones.


Here are my top recommendations (in no order of preference):
1. Sleek
2. Milani
3. Wet N Wild
4. La Femme

Sleek


Sleek has three kinds of blushes - single blushes, blush-by-threes, and bronzing blocks (which are technically supposed to be bronzers but not really - see my review here). I have quite a few of their blushes and blush by threes, and I cannot recommend them enough! My personal favorites are Coral, Pomegranate and Sunrise (singles) and Pumpkin, Lace and Sugar (blush-by-threes).

They have great pigmentation, aren't chalky at all, and blend out nicely. Best of all, the price won't leave your wallet weeping, and they have a variety of shades to choose from.

Price: $6.99 for the singles, $14.99 for the trios

Milani


Ahhh, Milani. My favorite, favorite drugstore brand. Can you believe I have all of their baked blushes? These blushes are so gorgeous! My only gripe with them was that they only had shimmery blushes, but they've since brought out some matte blushes, and the blush world is complete (not really. They need to bring out more shades). I can't pick out any favorites because I like all of them, but I'd have to recommend the matte blushes. They're just (beyond words here).

Again, you're getting some amazing pigmentation, which are a cinch to blend out, and there's no sign whatsoever of of any chalkiness. Everyone needs a Milani blush in their stash. Everyone.

Price: $8.49

Wet N Wild


These were my first ever blushes, and were so surprisingly pigmented I overdid it on more than one occasion. They are smooth, silky, and apply very nicely. I like the shade Pearlescent Pink, which I would call 'related-to-but-not-twinsies' with Nars' famous Orgasm blush. Heather Silk is also another lovely shade.

Again, another blush where's you're getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Price: $3.19

La Femme


These are not your regular drugstore blushes, in that you won't actually find them at the drugstore. You can find these blushes online at makeup-related websites. They come in a massive variety of shades (seriously, you can find a lot of different colors; purple blush, anyone?) and are ridiculously pigmented. I'm serious about the pigmentation. It's very, very easy to overdo these blushes - I have to use a stippling brush and a light hand. Still, they do blend out easy (as long as you don't apply too much) and once blended, they look very natural. They're a great choice when you're looking for some unusual blush colors.

Price: $3.50 (I got mine from www.camerareadycosmetics.com)

So what do you think about blush? Are you a blush fan? Would you like to see swatches of my Sleek and/or La Femme blushes? Comment below and let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I need to try La Femme blushes..have heard so much good about them..plus they are so cheap!
    I have tons of sleek blushes and they are my favorite when it comes to pigmentation and staying power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Sleek has awesome blushes for sure. And La Femme blushes are SO SO pigmented - almost scary pigmented! I have to use a really soft stippling brush or else I will go all the way to clown land!

      Delete