Monday, September 1, 2014

MAC A Novel Romance Lipsticks Review

A while ago, I put up a preview of a few of the MAC A Novel Romance products. After having them for a bit, I feel I can properly review them.

Today I will be talking about the lipsticks from the range. The shades I have are:
  • Yield To Love
  • Hearts Aflame
  • Lingering Kiss
Yield To Love, Hearts Aflame, Lingering Kiss

Yield To Love, Hearts Aflame, Lingering Kiss

Yield To Love [Creamsheen finish]  is a medium plummy pink with a cool undertone. I was most excited about this lipstick when I got it, but I find that it's not my favorite. It's a nice enough daily shade, if a little light for me. One swipe yielded almost complete coverage, but two swipes gave opaque coverage. It went onto the lips smoothly, and wore comfortably. It lasted for four hours on me, and left a very mild stain. I did not find it providing any sort of moisture to my lips, but on the other hand, it wasn't drying either.

Hearts Aflame [Matte finish] is a deep red-brown shade. This was surprisingly the favorite of the three for me, and I think those with deeper skins will find this to be a very flattering shade of red. One swipe yielded complete coverage. It did tug at the lips a little during application, but I think this is due to it's matte finish. It wasn't uncomfortable to wear, but like most matte formulas, it was a tad drying. It wore well for five and a half hours, and left a stain behind. Because of the intensity of the color, it's best applied with a lip brush (to get more precise edges) and a lipliner is also a good idea.

Lingering Kiss [Matte finish] was the biggest surprise for me! This is a very deep plum red that really does look rather dark in the tube. I was afraid of it initially, but I liked how it looked on my lips! This actually went on my lips smoother than Hearts Aflame, despite being a matte finish as well. It was, however, a little patchy, and needed touching up in some areas during application. After the initial application, however, there were no problems. This was also a little drying on the lips, nothing uncomfortable though. I definitely think a lip brush and a lip liner are required with this shade! It lasted a very good amount of time, almost 6 hours, and left a stain behind.

Here are the swatches I posted initially:

Yield To Love, Hearts Aflame, Lingering Kiss
And here is how they look on me:

L-R: Yield To Love, Hearts Aflame, Lingering Kiss
Overall, I'd say these are some really nice shades. If you're deeper skinned, I would totally recommend Hearts Aflame! It's a gorgeous shade. Lingering Kiss was a surprising hit, but I feel that there are quite a few lip products out there that are similar to Yield To Love, so it's something that I wouldn't necessarily go for.

BGMM Rating: Yield To Love - A
                      Hearts Aflame - A
                      Lingering Kiss - B+

9 comments:

  1. Hearts Aflame looks gorgeous! is it similar to Diva?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Diva, but looking at online swatches I'd say Hearts Aflame is a little deeper and browner than Diva! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the full face pics! You look gorgeous! :-D Hearts Aflame and Lingering Kiss are my favourites on you most definitely, although I think Yield to Love was the one that most appealed to me when I saw the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks!

      I was so surprised by Lingering Kiss, it made me feel so badass :D

      Delete
    2. I think that's exactly how every good lipstick should make you feel! Even a pretty pink one, LOL! :-D

      Delete
  3. Love the face pictures :D I love love Hearts Aflame! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks :) Hearts Aflame is gorgeous! Definitely recommend :D

      Delete
  4. Totally my kinda colors!!. I don't have the heart to shell out money on the latest releases by MAC as I'm waiting for the holiday collection. The lipsticks definitely suits you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I too can't wait to see what MAC puts up for the holidays! :)

      Delete