Friday, August 29, 2014

Let's Get Crafty! - DIY Gel Blush

I know this post is a tad late in the day, and my apologies for that. I meant to put it up sooner, but I've been busy cleaning the house as we're having guests over for the Labor Day weekend.

So I decided to veer off the course of reviews and into the world of DIY (do it yourself). Why, you might ask? Well, I had a bunch of things that were either 1. things I did not use, or 2. did not work for me, or 3. I had duplicates of (it happens, okay?). I didn't want to throw them away, so I decided to try to re-purpose them. And that got me thinking...

A while ago, everyone and their baby sister was raving about the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel as a 'dupe' for the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. I succumbed, and bought it, only to discover it did nothing for me. I was disappointed, and relegated it to the back of a drawer, never to see the light of day again.

The thing is, I did like the finish. It gives a soft, satin-y finish, and because it goes from gel to a powder finish, it spreads easily and is quite light. That gave me an idea - why not try to use it to make a gel blush?

The reason I opted for a blush was because I'm a huge fan of the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry. I love the color, so much so I have (ahem) three of them! I've been wanting a blush with a similar color, but I haven't really found anything like that... when Eureka! why not use it as a blush.

And so the idea was born!

Let's get started -

Step One - Gather all the necessary items.


What you will need:

- Monistat Chafing Relief powder gel (you can replace this with a silicone primer)
- Isopropyl alcohol (or ethyl alcohol)
- A clean, empty jar
- Toothpicks
- Your lipstick of choice

Step two - clean and sanitize everything!


I washed the jar with hot water and soap, and let it air dry. I then added some isopropyl alcohol, swirled it around the jar and the lid, and emptied it out. I let the jar and the lid dry again. The alcohol helps sanitize the jar (fun fact - alcohol essentially breaks down bacterial cell walls, meaning that the entire cell then ruptures, and the bacteria die. A 70% alcohol solution is best, but if you're using anything higher than that, I like to repeat the process twice. Try to avoid using any alcohol solution less than 70% as it won't be as effective in sterilization!)

Step three - Get your lipstick ready.


Twist up the lipstick. Decide how much of it you want to add into the blush. The more you add, the more pigmented your blush will be! I have brown skin, so I can get away with more pigmentation, so I'm going to use all the bullet that's seen in the picture.

Step four - Cut the lipstick into the jar.


I like to use a sanitized toothpick to cut into the bullet (dip the toothpick into the alcohol, and let it dry). You can, of course, choose anything else to cut it - just make sure it's sanitized! Before cutting the lipstick, I also like to sanitize the lipstick itself - I spray the bullet with alcohol, then I wipe off the outer layer with a clean tissue.

Step five - We're change states...


... from solid to liquid, that is (sorry, I couldn't resist!) Melt down the lipstick in the microwave. I used a glass jar, so I just popped it into the microwave and set it for one minute (I don't know the power setting, I'm afraid - you can try it in 30-second installments till it melts, which is what I did). Once it's melted, take it out carefully!

If you're not using a glass jar, use a small microwavable cup to melt the lipstick, then pour the liquid into the tin you're going to be using (again, be sure to sanitize the cup!)

Step six - Let's get mixing!


Add about a 1/2 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon of the Monistat gel/silicone primer to the liquid, depending on the amount of lipstick you used. Take a sanitized toothpick, and mix the melted color into the primer. Take your time here, and be thorough - if you don't mix well, you could end up with little grainy bits (which is the lipstick that's clumped together and solidified). It's also important to ensure your lipstick is completely liquid before you mix!

Step seven - Mix well, and freeze to obtain the final product!


Keep mixing till everything is one smooth mixture (if you get grainy bits like those in the picture above, you need to keep mixing. If it still doesn't mix completely, you'll need to put it into the microwave again, to melt the lipstick 'grains')

Once you're done mixing, and it looks smooth and creamy, put it into the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Step eight - Ta da! You're done!


Your customized gel blush is now ready to use!

So, how does it work?


As you can see from the swatches, it's not as intense as the lipstick. It looks 'creamy' and softer, while still being the same shade.

It also blends out very smoothly and very easily. The best part is that you can use this over foundation, or over powder, without disturbing the rest of your makeup!

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I still have quite a bit of the Monistat left, but now I'm excited, because that gives me a chance to create more blushes!

P.S - this blush, thanks to its silicone nature, has a certain amount of pore-blurring activity, so that's a bonus!

What do you think? Will you be trying this out? Have you ever gone down the DIY route for makeup?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool post! :-D I really want to try some more DIY stuff, so you've added to my inspiration pile :-) Maybe I should go my own way towards a purple blush by doing the same to Shameless? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes! Using Shameless would most likely give you a wearable purple blush, because mixing it with the primer seems to tone down the color a bit. :D

      Delete