Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Jouer Powder Eyeshadow Review

I came across the name Jouer in the strangest (for me, anyway) of places. I was on a Reddit chatroom, when someone was talking about 'Lego' makeup; I was instantly intrigued and asked them to elaborate, whereupon they sent me a link to the website.

The rest, as they say, is history.



The packaging is a glossy, deep brown packaging with the brand name emblazoned in light bronze on the top. It's very simple and elegant. However the glossy finish means - you got it - it's a fingerprint magnet. Honestly, I've given up trying to keep these clean, because it's just impossible. Sigh.

The other great thing about the packaging - regardless of the type of product it is - is that they can all be attached to each other. Truly, these are Lego makeup.


You'll notice that the sides of the package have protusions on them - these interlock into each other. The eye shadow on the left has a two-grooved projection, and this allows the single projection (seen on the right eye shadow) to slot into it. This means that the eyeshadows can be lined up to form a palette. Every shadow has the single and double projections, as well as the 'hook and dip' (as seen on the middle shadow) that means that they can not only be joined side-by-side, but also bottom-to-bottom. And these are there on everything - blushes, face powders, glosses, and shadows. The only products that don't have these are the lipsticks (as far as I know).


Because the products can be joined up, they're labelled on the front as to what kind of product they are.


The shades I have are:

- Caramel
- Parfait
- Amaretto



Caramel is a satin light, peachy gold shade. It's a lovely shade, both as a lid color and a highlight. It's soft and creamy to the touch, and applies beautifully. It's a cinch to blend this out, and can be worn as a sheer wash, or packed on for high pigmentation (although it doesn't require much packing). It's a great shade for all skin tones, although deeper skin tones might want to use this as a highlight.

Parfait is one of the truly unique shades I've seen. It's a sort of purple-y brown taupe-y shade with a satin finish that is just absolutely gorgeous as a lid color. It's subtle and yet has so much dimension. You can pair it with other shadows, or use it on it's own. This is something that will really look great on everybody. It's also a shade that I think everyone should have!

Amaretto is a satin medium warm taupe-y brown shade. It's a lovely color, perfect for those days when you're short on time. Swipe this on your lids, add a dash of liner or mascara, and voila! You're guaranteed to look like you spent a good half hour on yourself. Again, it's another shade that will suit everybody - lighter skins might want to use this sheered out, or in the crease, while deeper skins can use this for a 'no-makeup' makeup look.



These are highly pigmented shadows, that last a good 9 hours over primer with minimal fading. They feel so gorgeous and silky, they apply like a dream, they're so easy to work with... I could go on and on. As a matter of fact, I love these so much that if the rest of my shadows disappeared overnight (ohGodno), I wouldn't care as long as I had these. Seriously, they're that good.

The only downside is that I don't think there are a lot of colors available - most of them are neutrals, very work appropriate, but if you're looking for unusual colors, you'll need to look elsewhere.

I honestly cannot wait to get some more! I love these so much.

BGMM Rating: A+

6 comments:

  1. Parfait and Amaretto are especially beautiful :-) I really love the heathery lavender colour in Parfait! Kind of like stealth purple (#rogueapproved)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're gorgeous. I'd wear them all the time, but that would mean neglecting the rest of my shadows, and I can't do that... it's so hard being fair, haha.

      (I knew you'd like Parfait! ;) )

      Delete
  2. Oh man, these look to die for. I've never tried anything Jouer, always heard tons about the matte tint. Cult beauty, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, they're gorgeous. I'd consider this to be one of the best formulas ever! :)

      Delete
    2. I need to try them for sure, y'know, for research purposes. Totally justified right?

      Delete
    3. Absolutely! ;) You have to try Parfait - it's like the best eyeshadow color ever.

      Delete