Saturday, May 3, 2014

Quick Sample Review - Suave Professionals Natural Infusion Products with Awapuhi Ginger & Honeysuckle

First off, this post has the longest title in the blog so far. Quite the mouthful! Secondly, I'm back with another quick sample review on yet another shampoo and conditioner - this time with bonus leave-in cream included!

Suave Professionals is a budget brand here in the States. They don't necessarily have the best products, but they have fairly decent products. Their 'most famous' products are their Moroccan Infusion and Keratin Infusion products - I haven't tried them personally yet, but I've been curious enough to contemplate giving them a shot once my current shampoo and conditioner run out.




I have the Suave Professionals Natural Infusion with Awapuhi Ginger and Honeysuckle shampoo, conditioner and light leave-in cream (this time I remembered to take photos before I used them up! Woo!)




As you may know, I have long-ish hair that's oily at the roots and dry at the ends. with lots of split ends. Given my love for dry shampoo and anti-frizz products, I need a shampoo good enough to remove all products but gentle enough not to strip my hair. As for my conditioner - well, as long as it's sufficiently moisturizing I have no complaints.




The shampoo is a semi-opaque, viscous liquid with a rather generic smell. It's not overwhelming, but it smells like hotel shampoo to me! If I absolutely have to identify the scent I'd say it smells like artificial honeysuckle. Nothing special, really.


The shampoo lathered quite well, and felt like it was really getting all the product out of my hair. On the flipside, though, it did strip my hair a little. My hair did feel a little on the dry side after I rinsed the shampoo out.




The conditioner looks like your standard conditioner - a white, slightly runny (for a conditioner), cream-y liquid. The smell is similar to that of the shampoo - I think they may have used the same fragrance for both. It isn't as moisturizing as I'd like to be, but I don't think it will weigh down your hair either.




The leave in cream is a  white, thick cream that spread easily into my damp hair. It also has a scent similar to that of the shampoo and conditioner. It lives up to its name - it does feel rather light on my hair, my hair isn't weighed down, it does feel quite moisturized. After drying completely (I air dry my hair) it feels softer, and does seem to have a wee bit more shine to it than usual. Of the three, I'd rate this the best. I just wish they smelt better.


Now, I'm going to come down to the part that ticks me off. See how it says on the label that this product has Awapuhi Ginger and Honeysuckle? If you're going to claim something is a "natural infusion" that means the natural products should be high up on the list - however, for all three products, the ginger and honeysuckle extracts were listed right at the end of the ingredient list. 


For those who don't understand what this means, ingredients are usually listed in order of how much they are present in the product (from most to least). This had all the chemicals at the top, and the natural products at the bottom, which means that this isn't really a natural infusion product, it's just a regular old shampoo and conditioner with a few drops of ginger and honeysuckle extract. This annoys me no end because it's such a misrepresentation - kind of like me announcing that I'm going to cook vegetable pulao and only including a single pea in the final meal. BOGUS.


I'd skip the shampoo and conditioner, but I might actually try the full-size of the leave-in cream, because I like how it feels.


BGMM Quick Rating: C- for the shampoo and conditioner
                                      B for the leave-in cream


5 comments:

  1. This world is a mystery to me :-D I am the laziest person ever when it comes to my hair! It gets washed with whichever shampoo was cheapest at the supermarket when I went shopping and needed shampoo. Usually this means Palmolive something. But I like to read other people's reviews of hair products ^_^ It's like a little window into another world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually super lazy too, but ever since I started growing out my hair I've tried to be gentler... I know I have tons of split ends/dry roots but I don't want to cut them off (it'll shorten my hair length! nooooo) so finding products that keep it moisturized is always good :D

      Delete
    2. I was that way, always buying the cheapest but when I stopped doing that and started to invest in better quality my hair has so much improved.

      Delete
  2. I normally use salon shampoos but i wanted a protein free shampoo/conditioner designed for strengthening to give my hair a break from protein for I hear too much can be a bad thing. I tried pantene beautiful lengths which I felt was over-conditioning This suave was good and my hair felt soft and moisturized but it also looked rough and unruly, no smoothness. I am also not fond of the scent. BUT after using my ION brand keratin smoothing oil my hair looked and felt fantastic but the shampoo/conditioner/strengthening cream by itself was not impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally use salon shampoos but i wanted a protein free shampoo/conditioner designed for strengthening to give my hair a break from protein for I hear too much can be a bad thing. I tried pantene beautiful lengths which I felt was over-conditioning This suave was good and my hair felt soft and moisturized but it also looked rough and unruly, no smoothness. I am also not fond of the scent. BUT after using my ION brand keratin smoothing oil my hair looked and felt fantastic but the shampoo/conditioner/strengthening cream by itself was not impressive.

    ReplyDelete