Monday, May 12, 2014

MAC Maleficent Lipstick Review - True Love's Kiss

The new Maleficent movie debuted last week, and with it, a new limited edition MAC collection based off the movie. The collection was, to be honest, quite meh. Most of the colors it featured were quite muted. There was none of the green and purple associated with the original Disney portrayal of the villainess.

Still, there was one thing that caught my eye - a bold, true red lipstick that went by the rather kitzchy name "True Love's Kiss". Since I am perpetually 5 years old who believes in happy endings and a hopeless romantic to boot, I had to get it.



True Love's Kiss is an Amplified Cream finish that is strangely a tad more creamy than the regular MAC Amplified Cream lipsticks. It is housed in a special case - a shiny black case with 'Maleficent' emblazoned on it, and it also has some raven wings (which are, of course,  associated with Maleficent). It does attract fingerprints, but not as badly as I expected.


The lipstick is a bold red with warm undertones. It also has a hint of maroon in it. I have a feeling this will look different on different people, based on your coloring and your undertones - regardless, it is a gorgeous shade and definitely something that will flatter everybody.

Since this is an Amplified Cream finish, it does require a lipliner. It does not feather, but it does move around a little bit, and consequently needs a barrier to keep it in place. It is not moisturizing, but it did not dry my lips out. Wear time was about 4 hours on me with minor snacking and drinking and it left behind a lovely stain.


Here's how the shade looks on me (please excuse the sloppy application - I was testing out wear time and wasn't concerned with precise application!)


I don't think I have a red this shade, and so I'm very happy to add this to my collection. If you're a fan of red lipsticks, or you're on the lookout for a great, comfortable to wear lipstick with a good wear time, this is the one for you!

BGMM Rating: A

4 comments:

  1. This collection is the biggest let down ever! You cannot claim its a Maleficient inspired collection and give us neutrals! But this looks so tempting.. so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! It's fine trying to model your collection after Angelina Jolie and all, but come on, Maleficent is a badaass witch who rocks color, not neutrals!

      And yes, this one is gorgeous! ;)

      Delete
  2. I too was surprised by how...dull the Maleficent collection was! I think this lipstick was the thing that caught my eye most (although I prefer cooler reds generally). You're rocking it here! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty dull, which was so surprising to me. MAC could have really done something great, but they went the other way :/

      Delete