Monday, May 26, 2014

MAC Alluring Aquatic Extra Dimension Eyeshadow Review

I was highly tempted by the MAC Alluring Aquatic eyeshadows (since, of course, they are my absolute weakness and I must own them all) but I was surprisingly restrained and picked up only two shades, both of which I felt I did not already have similar shades of, and those that I thought were workable and wearable.

Now that everything's sold out, however, I of course regret that I didn't get every last shade.


Not going to talk about the packaging, because I've hashed over it several times (see here) but suffice to say it's so cute and adorable, and only someone not in their right mind would want to depot the shadow and throw away the packaging. For serious, though.



As you can see, I picked up one 'everyday appropriate' shade and one 'this is a real date night, honey' shade. I'm pleased with my choices.

Again, the embossing on the surface is similar to the blushes and the bronzers, since, of course, these are also the same Extra Dimension finish.

The shades I have are:
- Sea Worship
- Soul Serenade


Sea Worship is a shimmery, almost frosty khaki - dirty olive shade that looks absolutely lovely on brown skins. I would say this is pretty much a metallic finish, if it weren't for the teeny flecks of glitter present. It is soft and satiny to the touch, and has excellent payoff. It applies like butter and blends very smoothly. Depending on where you work, this may or may not be appropriate - this has more to do with the finish than with the shade itself. I do recommend softening the shade with a neutral matte, just to make this more work-appropriate; I've worn this as an all-over lid shade and with UD Buck in the crease, and both look very suitable for daytime.

My only gripe with this shade is the very mild fallout it can produce.


Soul Serenade is a shimmery, frosty,  warm, blackened taupe with purple tones. This is something I would consider metallic - especially if you use it with a damp brush. Similar to Sea Worship, this has tiny flecks of silver glitter that can lead to some fallout. It is soft and satiny to the touch, and has excellent payoff. It applies like butter and blends very smoothly. It is highly pigmented, a single swipe gives about 90% opacity, but this can be built up or sheered out, depending on how you want to wear it. It makes for a lovely smokey eye; for the day, I've worn it in the outer V, and also as a liner (used wet for this purpose; it looks gorgeous with gold wash all over the lid!).

Personally, I think this is quite a unique shade, and worth getting your hands on.


Over primer, these lasted well over 8 hours; I got 10 hours with minimal fading before I took off my makeup. They are extremely long wearing, have a texture that is absolutely lovely to work with, and their pigmentation is great.

While I'm not certain you need all the shades - certainly, some of them seem dupeable enough - the finish, and the texture are lovely, so it's worth picking up one or two!

BGMM Rating: A-

4 comments:

  1. There are just so gorgeous!!! GAH, I need this collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seiously, the packaging is SO unique. MAC outdid themselves with this one :D

      Delete
  2. Soul Serenade is beautiful! I can't wait til this collection gets here so I can just swatch the eyeshadows, and get a look at the packaging in person once ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd picked up the rest of the lot, but if I'm being honest with myself I rarely wear darker shades, so I'm (mostly!) okay with the two I have :D

      Delete