Wednesday, May 21, 2014

MAC Alluring Aquatic Extra Dimension Blush Review

MAC Alluring Aquatic has been the biggest MAC release this year - the packaging being one of the most innovative I've seen so far!

I was lucky enough to get the blushes, and I'm glad for that. The Extra Dimension blushes are some of my favorite MAC blushes, and with good reason.


The packaging is extraordinary - a lovely, shiny aqua with little 'drops' of water - it really does fit in with the theme beautifully, and is gorgeous to look at. It reminds me of something that the citizens of Atlantis would use; maybe Ariel had these in her vanity!

Packaging is typical MAC plastic, fairly sturdy, but not something you can drop. It's probablt safe for travel, provided you store it well.



The blushes have very aqua-themed names too, something that I think is adorable. They have MAC embossed on the surface, and that will undoubtedly wear off after a few uses. It also has a wave-like print. The surface embossements are found on all Extra Dimension blushes, but I think the wave pattern works very well with this particular collection!

The blush shades in this collection are:
- Seduced At Sea
- Sea Me, Hear Me


Seduced At Sea is described as a mid-tone neutral plum, something I'm only mentioning because it confused the beejesus out of me. This is NOT plum. It has no plum in it at all. Look at it! What it is is a lovely medium burnt orange with hints of brown and pink. I'm averse to calling it coral, because it isn't really a coral. It has a lovely soft satin sheen finish that doesn't emphasize pores.

The powder is finely milled, and applies and blends quite effortlessly. It is quite pigmented, and lighter skins might want to go easy on application. Deeper skins can build up the color without too much work.

This is a great shade for deeper skintones, and is best worn without a bronzer, as it has a bit of a brown hint to it.


Sea Me, Hear Me is described as a beige pink. Seriously, MAC, whoever describes your blush shades isn't getting it right. Where is the beige? Yeesh. It's a mid-toned rosy pink with a tiny hint of plum. (Hey, maybe the people at MAC got the shades mixed up!). This also has a satin sheen finish that doesn't emphasize pores.

The powder is finely milled, and applies and blends quite effortlessly. It is quite pigmented, and lighter skins might want to go easy on application. Deeper skins can build up the color without too much work.

This is also a great blush for deeper skintones, and something that's appropriate for use all year round. I've used this with bronzer and it really does make a great combination.



I've worn these both on bare skin and over foundation. On bare skin, they last about 4 hours on me, which isn't bad at all. Over foundation, they last close to 6 hours with some fading. Those with normal to dry skins will see these lasting much longer.

Both the shades are great for warm toned people, and will work on a range of skins, from fair to deep. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Seduced At Sea to lighter skins with cool tones, because of the brown in it - I can see it looking rather muddy on them, unless you take the effort to really blend it out and maybe use a brighter shade on the apples of the cheeks. Sea Me, Hear Me is a more universal shade, and I can see this being worn by everybody.

BGMM Rating: A- (for both)

4 comments:

  1. The packaging is to die for!!! absolutely gorgeous! Hoping to pick up atleast one of these beauties before it gets sold out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I hope you get hold of one :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I think they let drunk people come up with the shade names for stuff. Certain things get misused particularly badly, and I find 'mauve' is one of them. Coral is another, if you're being strict! :-P In the latter case, however, I just think it's people adding 'coral' to the name or description of something that is obviously just red/orange/pink because it ties into a current trend (that I happen to be fond of!).

    OT: Both these blushes seem much too brown for me, but I think I like Seam Me, Hear Me best! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Get the shades right, people! /pet peeve over

      They are on the browner side, but, surprisingly wearable! :)

      Delete