Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Review - Luminous Flush

When the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes were released, the makeup world pretty much went mad. And this time round, I was more aware of Hourglass as a company, and knew these would be brilliant. While I was completely impatient and wanted to get these immediately, I waited for a few reviews to decide. I was primarily worried about whether or not they would show up on me. After a few swatch sessions, and a very helpful Sephora SA who applied them on me, I was able to decide which ones would work for me.



The Hourglass Ambient Blushes are housed in a gun metal colored, metallic packaging that, while looking absolutely lovely, is a magnet for fingerprints like none other. I had to wipe these down several times while photographing them because even the slightest adjustment would leave fingerprints all over.

They are very sturdy, and would be easy to travel with. However they do weigh a little bit on the heavy side for a typical blush, and so if you're trying to keep your travel kit light while having a variety, you might not be able to do that with these blushes. (I wouldn't travel with them because I'd be too terrified of having something happen to them!)


Luminous Flush combines a pinky-coral blush with the Luminous Ambient Lightin Powder.  The blush is marbled, as a result of which no two blushes will ever look the same. In order to use them, one has to swirl a blush brush to combine the two shades.


The powder is finely milled, and soft an silky to the touch. It applies effortlessly, and is very easy to blend. It is on the less pigmented side, but frankly that isn't a bad thing at all - it lets you build up to the coverage you want. The resulting blush, whatever intensity you choose, is very natural and looks like it comes from within your skin.

There isn't any glitter/sparkles, but the finish is a soft, satin-like sheen that gave the skin a glow. It did not emphasize pores, but it didn't do much to blur/hide them either.

On my oily skin, it lasted for a good 5 hours before fading away, which is definitely on the higher side. The shade was also more apricot-y coral than pink-y coral; I imagine that the color it looks on your skin depends very much on what coloring you are and what undertones you have.



This is a great blush for light to medium skin tones. Deeper skin tones might want to avoid this, as I think it will look chalky and ashy on them (for reference I wear MAC C5, and would approximate myself to be around NC42-44).

For the rest, though, this is  great fuss-free blush that adds color and a lovely glow to your face. I cans see it working with a variety of looks.

BGMM Rating: A

4 comments:

  1. So darn gorgeous. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally live up to the hype. Well, most of the shades do. A few of them won't work on deeper skins.

      Delete
  2. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't make any really 'cool' shades in this line (not that we have them in this country anyway, LOL), but they do look pretty! Still can't get over how much they look like bacon, though...or maybe histological slides. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh goodness I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought of histology slides when I saw them!

      Delete