Wednesday, May 14, 2014

10 beauty-related mistakes I used to make

In my makeup and beauty journey, there are a couple of things I've learnt along the way (clearly). However, this process also involved a LOT of errors. I'm hoping that by sharing these, I can stop some of you guys from making the same mistakes I used to make.

1. I have oily skin, I don't need moisturizer.
Oh dear. This is something I wish I learnt when I was younger. Just because you have oily skin doesn't mean your skin doesn't need moisturization. You just need to find the moisturizer that works for you. Oily skins need lighter moisturizers, usually the ones in a gel formula. Find what works for you, but don't skip moisturization! My favorites are Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel and Cerave PM Moisturizing Lotion.

2. I'm brown, and I tan when I'm in the sun. My skin produces melanin to protect me! Why do I need sunscreen? (Sunscreen also makes me oily!)
No no no no no. Yes, melanin protects against the sun, but you can't expect your skin to protect you from UVA and UVB rays. You're essentially stressing out your skin each time you force it to produce melanin. You're also risking DNA damage, and a host of other issues related to it. There's a myriad of sunscreens present in the market today, and I'm sure you can find one that protects you without leaving you oily! Remember to use something that has at least SPF 30. My favorites are Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock and Cerave AM Moisturizing Lotion. La Roche Posay also makes some wonderful sunscreens.

3. I wore minimal makeup today / I wore no makeup today, so I don't have to clean my face at night.
You might not have worn any makeup, but think of all that you do in a day. Your face is exposed to dust and pollution, you might sweat through the day, your skin produces oil. You need to clean out all the remnants of the day and let your skin breathe! Use a cleanser meant for your skin type, and exfoliate if you want to. Follow it up with your favorite serum or moisturizer. The cleaner your skin is at night, the better it is able to repair itself! I use the Clinique Liquid Facial Soap and the Cerave Hydrating Cleanser.

4. I can use concealer on my under eye circles, just like that.
I used to do this all the time, but then always noticed that my concealer wouldn't spread easily an would crease terribly. Once I started moisturizing under my eyes, things improved so much! It doesn't matter what skin you have; your under eye area is always going to be drier than the rest of your skin, and you do need to prep it with a moisturizer before you use a concealer. This will help the concealer spread easier, and also prevent any wrinkles in the area. You can also use an under-eye primer. I use the Tarte Maracuja C Brighter Eye Treatment and the Origins Ginzing Refreshing Eye Cream.

5. I have to keep piling on concealer till my dark circles are hidden.
If you have very prominent dark circles, adding layer after layer of concealer will not help. It will look cakey and unnatural, and depending on the concealer shade you use, it could also look quite ashy. The best way to tackle prominent dark circles is to use a corrector. Blue/purple dark circles will need a peach or salmon colored corrector to neutralize the color, and then you can conceal them with your regular concealer. This will work much better than using concealer alone! I especially like the Bobbi Brown corrector, but NYX also makes one that I hope to try soon.

6. The more powder I use, the better I can set my concealer/foundation.
This is so obvious I feel quite ashamed to admit it. I've over-powdered my concealer so many times, an each time when it looks so cakey and crease-y at the end of the day I always wondered why. If you over-powder your foundation, it will look cakey, regardless of your skin time. It's going to look quite unnatural, and it will actually come off more easily than if you hadn't powdered it at all! I'm a huge fan of theBalm's Sexy Mama, but most of the time I use L'oreal's True Match Powder in W5.

7. Nude lipsticks work on all skintones.
Again, something so obvious but took me too long to understand. When the whole nude lip craze erupted, I tried a bunch of nude lipsticks and wondered why I looked like a zombie. It took me a while to understand that deeper skintones can't use 'concealer shade' lipsticks. Nude lipsticks are meant to emulate the natural pigmentation of your lips; so in most cases a mauve-y or a pink-toned lipstick is the one that will work the best on deeper skintones. I like Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in Liar and Milani lipstick in Naturally Chic. Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle is a great My Lips But Better shade for me, too.

8. There's no way to salvage a lipstick from slipping all around my lips - trash it!
Sigh. I wish there was a way to introduce Past Aditi to the wonders of lipliner. Lipliners are a great way to prevent feathering of your lipstick, to prevent lipstick from being too 'slippery', and also extends the staying power of your lipstick. It's also a good way to alter the color of your lipsticks! The easiest thing is to have a clear lipliner; this will go with every lipstick shade you own! I use Milani's Anti Feathering Lipliner, but another great clear lipliner is Urban Decay's Ozone.

9. Eyeshadow creasing is inevitable - be prepared to touch up all day long.
PRIMER. Oh my God, why did I not know about eyeshadow primer before? It not only extends the wear time on all my shadows but it intensifies the pigmentation of them. Trust me, even the cheapest, weakly pigmented eyeshadow can be improved drastically with the use of a primer.

10. If you have oily skin,  you are forever doomed to having an oily face during the day.
Well, this is both true and untrue. As someone with oily skin I do notice that my skin gets oily rather quickly; 4 hours of non-greasiness is the record for me. But there are ways to work with it! Having a good skincare routine is the first; this will help to calm your skin. You can also use a combination of blotting sheets and blotting powder (the kind in a compact) to control it during the day. Yes, you need to touch up, but it's not terrible! The best way to touch up is to use a blotting sheet to remove the excess oil first, then follow up by using blotting powder with a sponge or brush.

Welp, these are the major boo-boos that I can think of at the moment! What were some of the mistakes you've made? Comment below and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I know what you mean - I've pretty much done ALL of this too, when I was starting. Even worse for me was - I have blemishes, which means my skin is oily, so let me use acne treatments that dry out my skin and make it compete with the Sahara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I used to do that too, and then wonder why I was an oil slick in a couple of hours. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Hehe, I can remember, as a teenager, not realising that even if you have a concealer, foundation that matches your skintone, you still have to blend the edges properly when you use it as a spot concealer :-P Or not realising that my concealer was a special one for undereyes, so that was why it kind of looked like peach dots on my cheeks. I actually stopped wearing makeup for years because I just thought it wasn't doable for me, LOL!

    Ah, the follies of youth...

    ReplyDelete