Monday, April 28, 2014

MAC Playland Collection Lipstick Review

MAC recently came out with their Playland collection that featured bright, fun colors. What caught my eye from the collection was their lipsticks - they looked perfect for summer - and so I picked up a few.

Now, MAC lipsticks are well known, and chances are most girls have at least one in their stash. This is with good reason; MAC produces some of the best lipstick colors and textures that I've known, and depending on the finish you get, they are also quite long lasting. However, sometimes their limited edition collections sometimes do not have the best quality (as compared to regular MAC products - I shall use their Proenza Schouler collection as an example). I'm happy to report that this is not the case with these lipsticks!





I'm not going to go into much detail about the packaging since everyone and mother knows how they look - suffice to say they are bullet-shaped, sturdy, and travel well.



The shades I have are:

  • Happy-Go-Lucky
  • Head In the Clouds
  • Toying Around
  • Red Balloon
Happy-Go-Lucky is a bright purple-fuchsia pink which is quite cool-toned. This is an Amplified Cream finish
Head In The Clouds is a sheer warm toned orange-red injected with gold glitter. This is a Frost finish, and is the least pigmented of the four.
Toying Around is a bright, vibrant orange-y coral. This is an Amplified Cream finish.
Red Balloon is a vibrant dark raspberry pink. This is an Amplified Cream finish.


These go on completely opaque with a single swipe, with the exception of Head In The Clouds. However Head In The Clouds can be built up in terms of opacity, but it is never completely opaque. To be honest I rather like the sheerness of Head In The Clouds; despite the frost finish, it is very flattering on me and the sheerness I feel makes it quite suitable for daily wear. The glitter is not very prominent (but can be seen if you go up close to a mirror!) and does not feel gritty on the lips. This one also had the least wear time, clocking in at about two hours before I needed to reapply. It will not stand up to drinking or eating either.

Happy- Go-Lucky, Toying Around and Red Balloon are intensely pigmented and very comfortable to wear. You can wear them at full opacity of blot them down for a lighter stain. Wear time was impressive, lasting 6 hours on me, through drinks and a light meal. Even after wearing off they leave a nice stain behind, however you will need to retouch at this point.


The colors are also fabulous. Happy Go Lucky is a very playful pink-purple; not my favorite of the lot, but it's a nice color nevertheless. I personally adore Toying around and Red Balloon; such gorgeous colors, perfect for summer, and since I don't have to worry about how long they last it's a bonus.


Here's how they look on my lips:





As you can see, even though Head In the Clouds is the least opaque, it still offers good coverage. Also, Red Balloon appears much darker on me (similar to the hand swatch) - for some reason it refused to photograph well.

I'm completely blown over by the Playland collection and absolutely adore all the shades I have. I would recommend picking up Toying Around and Red Balloon.


I'd also recommend Head In The Clouds if you're just getting into reds, and want a sheerer, low maintenance easy-to-wear red.


BGMM Rating: A


4 comments:

  1. Head inthe Clouds looks so pretty on you! (Well, they all look good, but still) :-D Toying around seems to be one of those interesting shades that looks different on different people - the orange tones come out nicely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surprised with how wearable these are! From the swatches I'd seen they looked to be quite bright, but they're very lovely. Head in the clouds is like the perfect red for me, since I'm usually wary of reds.

      And thank you for those kind words :)

      Delete
  2. Head in the coulds looks amazing on you! Woah :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I think I may have just found 'my' red? Too bad it's limited edition :(

      Delete