Thursday, April 24, 2014

LA Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer Review

You know what sucks? Insomnia. Insomnia sucks so hard. It leaves you feeling super exhausted, irritable, unfocused, and as an extra whammy bestows you with dark circles! Waaaah!

I've been hit with a bad case of insomnia for the few weeks and it's definitely taken a toll on my under eye circles - those suckers give me raccoon eyes without the whole smudged eyeliner thing. 


Suffice to say I've been on the lookout for a good concealer, something that meets my criteria, ergo: 1. Must provide good coverage, 2. Must be easy to blend out, and 3. Must not crease.


I've been enjoying my Bobbi Brown dark circle corrector under my usual concealer, but some days I don't have time for the extra step of correction, so anything that gives me the benefit of color correcting is a bonus.


I've seen good reviews about the LA Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer, with some people comparing it to MAC Pro Longwear Concealer. I was intrigued. A high-end formula at a drugstore price? Sign me up!


So while I was feverishly looking up swatches online to see what would work for me, I ended up with an idea - why not get a broad range of shade to serve as highlights and contours? They're inexpensive, so they'd give me a way to practice techniques without having to invest in products designed for that purpose. And that's what I ended up doing.






The packaging is made of plastic - nothing special or remarkable about it. It has a plastic cap on top that I fear is rather easy to break - which isn't a good thing, as the applicator is a brush-type applicator made of plastic bristles (you squeeze the tube, and the product flows out through a hole in the middle of the 'brush', which I assume is to help you apply the concealer without a brush). I really do wish they had a needle nose opening type of thing, the brush is very rough and isn't suitable for the under eye area at all. Additionally, the brush seems to eat up quite a bit of product, which is disappointing.




I have 11 shades in all, ranging from light to dark. Of the 11 shades, 4 work as a concealer for me - Medium Bisque, Medium Beige, Cool Tan and Warm Honey. (Medium Bisque and Warm Honey take a bit of effort and elbow grease to make work, but nothing terrible.)


On to the formula - it's a creamy formula, but has quite a fluid consistency (it's not runny!). This means that it can blend out very easily with little to no effort. I do like the fact that I can skip an under eye moisturizer before using this, as the formula feels quite hydrating - however due to this nature, you will definitely need to set it with a powder.

Pigmentation is great - a small amount goes a long way. I wouldn't call it full coverage, more medium, really, but the coverage looks very natural. On days when I have extremely bad dark circles, I cannot use this on it's own, but it's a great concealer for those with little-to-medium dark circles - you can use this as an everyday concealer.


It doesn't crease, but it does settle into fine lines a little - however I've noticed this is the case for all the concealers I have, so I won't take off points for that.






I'd say this is a great formula for a drugstore brand. It's even better, in my opinion, than the L'oreal True Match concealer and the Maybelline Fit Me concealers I've used (~while I've recently gotten my hands on the MAC Pro Longwear concealer, I haven't used it long enough to come to a comparison between the two~). If you're on the lookout for a good concealer, with a wide range of shades (I believe they have 18!), at a good pricepoint, look no further!


BGMM Rating: A- (I wish it came without the brush applicator)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed by your array of concealers, there :-D I have lovely blue dark eye circles (hello, grad school!), combined with very pale, semi-transparent skin that shows all the veins too (yay!). So concealers are definitely something I am on the lookout for. I wish more brands were more affordable here, though - it would make it so much easier to experiment!

    I hope you get some better sleep soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grad school = dark circles (why do they work us so hard? lol). I've noticed that investing in a good color corrector (salmon/peachy shade) helps in neutralizing the color so that my concealer can do it's job! Maybe give that a shot?

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure we don't have this brand here, but it does sound like a really nice concealer with good value for money. Thanks for all the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got these from www.ikatehouse.com - on their website these retail for $1.50, as opposed to their regular price of $5 - not sure if they ship internationally, but you could give it a shot :)

      Delete