Thursday, March 27, 2014

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Review

Part of my NYX sale order included their Soft Matte Lip Creams in  two of the new shades that they released.

Now, I have tried the Soft Matte Lip Cream formula before (I believe I had Antwerp and Stockholm) and... I detested them. I did not like them at all, I did not like how they felt on my lips, and certainly did not understand why everyone else liked them so much.


Given how much I disliked them it surprised even me that I popped two of these into my basket!




Why did I do that? I like to think it was because when I first tried these out, I was still a newbie to the whole makeup world. I wasn't sure how to work with the formula or what to make of it, and I didn't like how the colors looked on me, either. Having a bit more experience, I decided to give them another shot to see if I'd change my mind.



Prague, Copenhagen
Did it work? In a way, yes. I do like them a little more now than I did before, but to be honest, not by much. I think it's because they fail in the concept of the product - that is, they're supposed to be a long-lasting lip cream that 'dries down' and becomes almost budge-proof - but it isn't. Sure, they're a nice formula, but each time I've worn these I'm constantly aware of the fact that I have something on my lips - which isn't what I want from my lip products (the only time I'll allow it is if I'm wearing a gloss - which these are not).

Something else that irks me is that they come off everywhere. Accidentally touch your lips? It'll come off on your finger. Drink coffee? Color on the cup. Want to eat a sandwich? Sure, as long as you don't mind eating that lip color, too.


They do perform marginally better over a lip liner, but I'm a supremely lazy person at heart and aintnobodygottimeforthat.


On the plus side, they are very pigmented and offer opaque coverage with one swipe of the wand. They don't dry my lips out (but they don't have moisturizing properties either) and they do have a matte effect (well, yes, from the name).




I'd say these are the kind of products where your mileage may vary. Some of you might like these, others may not, but alas, for me, while I shall make use of them to finish them up, they aren't the ones I'll be repurchasing.

BGMM Rating: C+

3 comments:

  1. Hahahah, I love how I put up a post today saying these are the best lip products ever.. and you've totally dissed 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw, haha. It's something you either love or hate I guess! Antwerp was SO bright on me it scared me!

      Delete
    2. Antwerp is bright - but I find San Paulo to be more.. not me. :P

      Delete