Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wet n Wild Color Icon Blush

I have a confession to make - I'm not a huge fan of blush. Primarily because I just don't know how to apply it, but also because the large pores on my cheeks make for a very difficult and frustrating application process.

Still, I have always been fascinated by blush, because of how it looks on other women (who know how to wear it properly, unlike me). It makes them looks so cheerful, rosy-cheeked, and alive! I wanted to look like that too, but several drugstore blushes that I tried just never showed up on my skin, no matter how many layers I applied.


I first came across the Wet n Wild blushes when I read online that one of them was a very good dupe for Nars Orgasm. I was intrigued, so when I next went to Walgreens, I picked them up.


The ones I picked up were:

  • Pearlescent Pink
  • Mellow Wine
  • Heather Silk





Mellow Wine and Pearlescent Pink have shimmer in them (with more shimmer in Pearlescent Pink than Mellow Wine) while Heather Silk is matte.

L-R: Pearlescent Pink, Heather Silk, Mellow Wine
Pearlescent Pink
 A coral pink blush infused with gold shimmer (I'm not kidding about the shimmer!). I don't own Nars Orgasm, but from having swatched it before, I can tell the color is similar, and they are most similar in the fact that both are quite overloaded with the gold shimmer. I love the color, but I'm not a huge fan of the shimmer, so I have been using this as a rose-gold eyeshadow. 

FYI, the glitter doesn't seem like it can be blended away, unfortunately.


Heather Silk
 Heather Silk is a gorgeous bright, cheerful pink color that is matte. It's a little bit harder to blend than the other two, but not overly so. It's very easy to overdo this, so use sparingly! Personally I love this blush in summer when it makes my cheeks look 'adorable' (yes, that was an actual comment, lol).

Mellow Wine
Mellow Wine is a pink-mauve color that looks just fabulous on deeper skins. If we're playing favorites, this would be it. The color looks so natural on my cheeks that if all my other blushes disappeared, I would use this happily (although please don't let my other blushes disappear. I like them.) The only down point is the shimmer it has, although this can be blended away, I'm still not a huge fan because sometimes it collects in my pores. Sigh.


The texture of these blushes is soft, and so buttery! I'm surprised. Clearly, I'm not very well-versed in blush, but I can tell that these are lovely. The pigmentation is off the charts - it's so insanely pigmented that I have managed to have clown cheeks several times! A light hand is required. They don't apply patchy, and are easy to blend (as long as you haven't overapplied).

 I find it much easier to blend these on a well moisturized face (I'm not a huge fan of foundation so I usually wear them on bare skin which has been moisturized. I have tried them over tinted moisturizer and foundation, and they work well).

L-R: Pearlescent Pink, Mellow Wine, Heather Silk
Top row swatched, bottom row blended
L-R: Pearlescent Pink, Mellow Wine, Heather Silk
Top row swatched, bottom row blended

If you're looking for pigmented, good quality blushes at a decent price, I highly recommend these. However, there aren't many choices available, so that's definitely a downside.

BGMM Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment