Monday, September 9, 2013

Urban Decay Naked Palette Review

As the rather unimaginative title explains, this post is about the extremely famous Urban Decay Naked palette. This has been raved about for quite some time by everybody and their mother, so you might wonder why I'm so late to the party (and rightly so).

Well for starters being a n00b in the makeup world it wasn't till early last year (gasp, horrified intake of breath) that I actually even knew about the Naked palette. And when I saw it (or rather pictures and blog posts) I was - *hangs head in shame* - rather underwhelmed. I just didn't understand why people went so crazy over shades of brown! I have brown skin, and wearing those colors would be the equivalent of me not really wearing anything at all, so why the fuss?


As my knowledge increased I learnt about the power of neutrals, and I wanted to experiment but I didn't want to smack down the dough for the Naked palette - I opted for cheaper versions of it (MUA's version of the Naked palette - I can't remember the name - is quite a good match) and I liked it. I liked being able to wear neutrals to the lab and to classes - it made me feel put together without being over the top.


Experimenting also helped me understand that even if something doesn't 'show up' on your skin doesn't mean it's a dud - sometimes those 'my skin color' shades are the most useful, especially when it comes to blending (something I'm still getting the hang of). One of my favorite things to do is to wear a neutral eyeshadow close to my skin color then add a pop of color via eyeliner.


Finally a couple months ago I decided to take the plunge and got myself the Naked palette, and it has just blown me away! The quality is amazing - I spend no effort at all in applying and blending. They are incredibly pigmented too, and a mere touch of the brush to the pan will give you enough color for one eye. They are also soft, and buttery, and easy to work with. And since they're all neutral colors, it's fairly simple to pair them up - whatever combination you choose will turn out great!


To summarize: it's really, really worth the hype.




The palette comes with a travel-size of UD's Primer Potion. I haven't tried using it yet, as I'm currently using (and loving!) Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day eyeshadow primer).


It also comes with a Good Karma eyeshadow brush.







The case is a suede-covered cardboard case. It looks very pretty, and feels lovely to the touch, but it catches dust very easily, and I'm not sure how it'll hold up during travel.



L-R: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal

L-R: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal

The palette has a small mirror inside, and comprises of twelve shades:


  • Virgin
  • Sin
  • Naked 
  • Sidecar
  • Buck
  • Half baked
  • Smog
  • Darkhorse
  • Toasted
  • Hustle
  • Creep
  • Gunmetal
Most of the shades are either satin or glitter shades. Only Virgin, Naked and Buck are matte shades. Naked and Buck are very close to my skin tone and don't show up well on swatching, but I like using them as a natural highlight or as a overall eyelid shade (before adding more color).

L-R: Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal

L-R: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked

My favorite shades are Half Baked (a true yellow gold), Smog (a warm satin chocolate brown) Toasted (a lovely pink with brown tones) and Hustle (a warm purple-plum)

I like Sidecar but it has too many glitter particles for me to wear this during the day.
Sin is a lovely champagne color that makes a great highlight.
Gunmetal is one of my favorite shades for a smokey eye, it is a blue-grey metallic shade that will make brown eyes pop!
For a great daytime smokey eye I pair Smog and Darkhorse (a satin dark brown) - you can swipe it on lightly for a softer look or build it up for a deeper, more intense look.

My least favorite has to be Creep - even though it looks absolutely gorgeous in the pan, the color payoff isn't that great, with that said it can be built up and does look fab over primer.


L-R: Gunmetal, Creep, Hustle, Toasted, Darkhorse, Smog, Half Baked, Buck, Sidecar, Naked (can't be seen because it's so close to my skin color), Sin and Virgin 

L-R: Gunmetal, Creep, Hustle, Toasted, Darkhorse, Smog, Half Baked, Buck, Sidecar, Naked (it's very faintly seen here), Sin and Virgin 
Overall, I'm glad I took the plunge. Yes, there might be other similar colors out there, but there's something about the quality and the pigmentation that makes these shadows a dream to use.

Should you pick it up? Consider the following:


- If you're worried about whether or not these will show up on you - yes they will, and they will look great.

- If you're a newbie to makeup, and want something that's easy and foolproof to use, this might be it; the quality is great and will make blending easy for you, and some shades can be used as a wash of color.
- Keep in mind if you're experimenting with makeup, or just started, or on a budget (aren't we all?) you might want to try out something else. There are some great dupes out there, and it might be worth trying those out before committing to this.

A great palette, with a well-deserved reputation!


BGMM Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment