Saturday, September 21, 2013

Mattese Elite single eyeshadow review

Makeup is sort of an adventure, don'tcha think? I mean, you have the fail-safes like Urban Decay, and MAC, and NARS, where you know you'll always get great quality. However, let's face it - you and I are not some kind of genetically modified human-money plant hybrid, so we're not made of money, nor do we produce it through... for the sake of decency let's just say 'through physiological processes'. That's where drugstore makeup come in, yes? It's nice to explore all the brands. Some of them may be misses, but occasionally, you might find a diamond in the rough.

One of these explorations led to the discovery of a amazing product. I first mentioned these in a post last month here. Since then, I've been using these, and yeah, you better believe it, they've become some of my most-reached for eyeshadows.


So... Mattese Elite. Not a brand a lot of people are familiar with, right? I did some research and what I've found out is that they're a cosmetics line that are sold in a store called Ricky's NYC who are based in New York (of course). The few reviews I came across were all quite positive, and before long I found myself placing an order.


I picked up mainly eye shadows in two different finishes - frost (shimmer) and matte.





Do these look familiar? They should. The packaging is very similar to that of MAC eyeshadow singles.


So how do these perform? Well, I can't compare them to MAC because I've never used MAC eyeshadows, but I would say these are wonderful eyeshadows. They are smooth, creamy, and so buttery - they almost feel like velvet. They are ohmigosh pigmented - I mean, I was playing around and not really expecting much, but dang! These pack a punch.


I didn't experience much fallout from the shimmer shades, and as for the matte shades - man, oh man. These mattes, they're so... silky. They're not chalky at all, they're pigmented, and smooth, and blend like the world's best blender (okay, that was a terrible joke). 


The shades I have are:



  • Copper Bronze (frost)
  • Screaming Orange (frost)
  • Indian Jewel (frost)
  • Who's Violet (frost)
  • Stoplight Green (frost)
  • Emerald (frost)
  • Ocean Green (frost)
  • Hypnotic Blue (frost)
  • Orgasmic Blue (frost)
  • Spot Light (frost)
  • Black Star (frost)
  • Nude Beige (matte)
  • Suede (matte)
  • Leather (matte)
  • Plum Velvet (matte)

I will be dividing these shades into their finishes (frost or matte) as well as color grouping them.

THE FROSTS



L-R: Copper Bronze, Screaming Orange, Indian Jewel, Who's Violet (no flash)


L-R: Copper Bronze, Screaming Orange, Indian Jewel, Who's Violet (with flash)


L-R: Copper Bronze, Screaming Orange, Indian Jewel, Who's Violet (no flash)

Copper Bronze is a rust red-brown color.
Screaming Orange is a soft orange color.
Indian Jewel is a pinky-copper color.
Who's Violet is a blackened plum color.




L-R: Stoplight Green, Emerald, Ocean Green (no flash)


L-R: Stoplight Green, Emerald, Ocean Green (with flash)


L-R: Stoplight Green, Emerald, Ocean Green (no flash)


Stoplight Green is a beautiful chartreuse color.
Emerald is a forest green color.
Ocean Green is a teal color. (I call it a mermaid's tailfin color!)



L-R: Hypnotic Blue, Orgasmic Blue (no flash)


L-R: Hypnotic Blue, Orgasmic Blue (with flash)


L-R: Hypnotic Blue, Orgasmic Blue (no flash)
Hypnotic Blue is a intense cobalt color (it looks almost metallic).
Orgasmic Blue is a deep navy-black color.



L-R: Spot Light, Black Star (no flash)


L-R: Spot Light, Black Star (with flash)


L-R: Spot Light, Black Star (no flash)


L-R: Spot Light, Black Star (no flash)
Spot Light is easily one of the most unique colors I own. It's such a gorgeous duochrome shade. In the pan, it appears almost silver-ish, but from the swatch you can clearly make out the lavender in it, as well as the gold tinge it has. It flashes a different color from each angle. It's so pretty!

Black Star is a black satin shade with silver glitter. You can see how lovely it is - when swatched it almost looks like a section of the galaxy, with stars! The glitter did not give me any issues, there was minimal fallout.

THE MATTES



L-R: Nude Beige, Suede, Leather, Plum Velvet (no flash)


L-R: Nude Beige, Suede, Leather, Plum Velvet (with flash)


L-R: Nude Beige, Suede, Leather, Plum Velvet (no flash)


L-R: Nude Beige, Suede, Leather, Plum Velvet (no flash)

Nude Beige is a pretty peachy-beige color.
Suede is a light brown-beige taupey color.
Leather is a deep brown color.
Plum Velvet is a black-deep plum color. When I swatched this, I could barely see any plum in it - it just seemed like a less intense black color.

After playing around with the mattes, I enjoyed them so much I regretted not bagging a few more of them. They're just wonderful.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about these eyeshadows. I can't believe that a brand that I've never heard of has eyeshadows of this quality! You could package those shimmer shades in Lorac packaging and I would believe those were Lorac. If you had told me those mattes were made by Stila, I would have not a shred of doubt. In my humble opinion, these are as good as the brands we all eye with lust, and if you ever come across these, I recommend you pick up a few to try!

BGMM Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment