Sunday, September 15, 2013

Lorac Pro Palette Review

When I was a beginner, entering the world of eye shadow made my head spin. Not only did I have to deal with how to choose colors appropriately to pull together a look, and learn about matte and shimmer shades, there was also blending issues, the question of eyeshadow placement... in short I haven't reached anywhere close to even a semi-advanced level.

Well I can safely say that having the Lorac Pro palette has definitely upped my game. This amazing, amazing beauty of a palette has a total of 16 - yes, you heard me! - 16 shades. That's pretty awesome in itself, but I'm going to let you in on a little secret - there are an equal number of matte and shimmer shades. How amazing is that?


Did I mention that all the shades are neutrals?

Or that they're all coordinated so that any look you pull together will look effortlessly chic?


Now you know!




The Lorac Pro Palette comes with a mini Behind The Scenes eye primer. I haven't used this yet, but it seems to have good reviews.





The palette itself is sleek and rectangular, with a rubber-cardboard texture (if that makes sense?) It's perfect for travel because of it's size. I can't say much as to it's durability - I don't think it would survive a fall, but it might be able to cope with minor bumps. Nevertheless I always advice people to securely wrap their eyeshadow palettes when travelling to minimize any jostling/bumping - you don't want to end up with a shattered mess at the destination!




The palette comes with a mirror inside, and 16 shades arranged in two rows. The top 8 eye shadows are all matte, while the bottom 8 eye shadows are all shimmer.




The shades are:


Top 8, matte

  • White - a  white
  • Cream - a light beige 
  • Taupe - a light brown with a hint of gray
  • Lt. Pink - a very light pink
  • Mauve - a light pink-purple with a wee bit of gray
  • Sable - a medium brown
  • Expresso - a dark brown-black 
  • Black - a pure black

Bottom 8, shimmer
  • Nude - a very light rose that appears almost white on my skin
  • Champagne - a warm beige-champagne
  • Gold - a gold shade with hints of copper
  • Lt. Bronze - a light peach
  • Pewter - a brown-gray taupe
  • Garnet - a rusty red-brown
  • Deep purple - a blackish-purple
  • Slate - a gunmetal gray mixed with blue



(apologies for the weird pictures - my camera wasn't playing well with the light for some reason)

On to the most important part - how do these perform?

These are stellar eye shadows. They score top marks in pigmentation, quality, blendability and pretty much every other benchmark that eye shadows have. They are incredibly soft, buttery, creamy shadows that just glide on your lids like a hot knife through butter (am I using the metaphor right? Oh well. You get what I mean). Even the matte shades, which usually can be chalky, are smooth and creamy, and very pigmented.

I have several eye shadows, and I will pretty much work with anything (almost anything) but if I had to stick with one palette it would have to be this. And that says a lot  because I would rank this over my Naked palettes!

I love the fact that this has a lot of warm-toned neutrals, that it has a wonderful mix of matte and shimmer shades, and that it has a couple of playful shades thrown in for some more dramatic looks.

I adore Mauve, Sable, Pewter and Lt. Bronze for daytime looks ( I have been enjoying Lt. Bronze and Gold during the summer) and Taupe is such an easy shade - it's a perfect all-over-the-lids color and I just slap it on, add some black eye liner, a colorful lipstick and wham, I'm done. 
If you're looking for a night time look no further than Garnet, Deep Purple, Slate and Black. I love using Garnet and Black for a rusty, smokey-eye look, but Slate and Black would give you a more traditional smokey eye.
Like I mentioned before, whatever combination you pick up is pretty much foolproof and the best part is that you don't have to work at blending because the shadows do the work for you.

L-R, Top to Bottom:  White, Cream, Taupe, Lt. Pink, Mauve, Sable, Expresso, Black

L-R, Top to Bottom:  White, Cream, Taupe, Lt. Pink, Mauve, Sable, Expresso, Black

L-R, Top to Bottom:  White, Cream, Taupe, Lt. Pink, Mauve, Sable, Expresso, Black

L-R, Top to Bottom: Nude, Champagne, Gold, Lt. Bronze, Pewter, Garnet, Deep Purple, Slate

L-R, Top to Bottom: Nude, Champagne, Gold, Lt. Bronze, Pewter, Garnet, Deep Purple, Slate

L-R, Top to Bottom: Nude, Champagne, Gold, Lt. Bronze, Pewter, Garnet, Deep Purple, Slate

Overall, this is definitely a palette geared towards beginners, The neutral shades combined with the excellent pigmentation and quality of these eye shadows make them a cinch to work with. The fact that you're getting 16 shades for a price lower than that of the Naked palette (which has 12 shades) is definitely attractive. And I love that these have equal matte and shimmer shades - a definite bonus over the Naked palettes.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Naked palettes. I feel, though, that if you're going to invest in a palette (especially if it's your first palette), you might be better off with the Lorac Pro palette because of the greater number of shadows, and the different finishes.

Highly recommended!

BGMM Rating: A+

1 comment:

  1. AAAHHHH. I want this so bad! I've been wanting it and I want it even more now :(

    ReplyDelete