Saturday, August 24, 2013

Stila In the Garden Palette Review

I have such a massive weakness for eye shadow that sometimes I'll look at a product in the store and promptly forget about the ones sitting at home... even if those ones at home are barely used! Call it a hoarding instinct or obsession, the fact is I think that a simple sweep of eye shadow can do wonders.

I had heard so much about Stila eyeshadows on the blogosphere that I just had to try them out for myself; so when Stila had their back to school sale I picked up two of their palettes. Their most famous one (I believe) is their In the Moment palette which is supposed to be a dupe for the Naked palette, but since I have quite a few neutrals I decided to give this one a skip. I picked up In the Garden, which are earth-inspired tones, and In the Know, which is a matte palette (and which I will be reviewing later)






The palette is made of cardboard material, but not so sturdy that I'm willing to take a risk and drop it (even on carpet). The palette is a light green color with gold font on the top. I think it looks quite charming, but I would have preferred a sturdier material (even plastic would have been okay with me!)





Inside the box are 10 eyeshadows, all slightly cool toned. On the other side is a quote by Sarah Lucero, who is a makeup artist and the Global Director of Education for Stila Cosmetics (to be honest I was a bit baffled by this; why does a makeup brand need a Director of Education? Do they have a college or a school or something? Anyway, I digress.)




Also included in the palette is a Smudge Stick Waterproof eye liner in Starfish (I have to add this - when I read Starfish as the name I immediately thought of Spongebob Squarepants!!) 


The shades are: 

  • Chinois - matte creamy white
  • Breeze - shimmery beige
  • Bark - shimmery taupe
  • Freesia - shimmery violet blue
  • Rosette - metallic pink violet
  • Nectar - matte creamy beige
  • Honey - metallic bronze gold
  • Sage - shimmery translucent green
  • Moss - dark olive green with shimmer
  • Juniper - deep shimmery forest green



Now onto the performance - these are soft, buttery eyeshadows that are very pigmented. You just touch your brush to the eyeshadow and the brush gets loaded with pigment! They spread easily over the eyelid and are easy to blend. I'm not joking about the ease of blending part! I did a look yesterday using Sage, Moss and Bark and it felt effortless (and I totally forgot to take a picture! Ooopsies.)

All the colors show up on my skin (if I had to take a guess I'd rate myself as maybe an NC45 in MAC? I don't know, I've never tried anything MAC.)



It was so hard for my camera to pick up the lovely duochrome that is Rosette (top row, first from the right). It is a lovely purple-pink color with a blue duochrome. It is so, so pretty.

Chinois, Breeze and Nectar make very good highlights. I like using Honey, Sage and Bark as all over lid colors for the daytime. Moss and Juniper would make a lovely green smokey eye. For a fun look I like to use Freesia as an eyeliner.

Overall, I love this palette! It's such a change from regular neutrals, and the colors are a dream to work with. I think it's worth picking it up during a sale, so you get the most value for your money!

BGMM rating: A


1 comment: